Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Needing part numbers and info

hi guys

i have an 88 Ram50 2.6l 5sp 4x4 g54b

need to rebuild the top end completely and looking to upgrade

need new head, cam, carb, igniton coil, etc..

am wanting more power but dont want a racecar or rock crawler

the question is...what good performance parts and part numbers do you guys have for my girl?

links to older posts would be much appreciated as i am not very good at navigating the internet.

THANKS

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You could add a header to that list. I had my 2.6 rebuilt with a non jet valve head and kept the Mikuni carb. I added a Pacesetter header and noticed an improvement. A new head alone will make a big improvement if your use to driving it with one that is on its way out. If you have to pass an emissions test, keep it in mind when looking into performance parts.The emissions test here is changing this year to a 2 speed idle test without the dyno so I may be able to get a Weber and not have to worry about passing the test. We'll see. The Weber should improve power a bit and still get good fuel economy.

Array
    Status
    Smithville, MO
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    yeah a header goes without saying in my book. gonna install whole new exhaust anyway so a header is already in the plans. lol The weber carb is of tremendous interest to me simply cuz when i was a teenager we replaced the stock mikuni with a reman mikuni and it was still junk. Also plan on gutting all vacuum mess and hooking up only the essentials. Only thing i"m debating is whether or not to bore the block.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You could look into fuel injection. I was investigating it while my engine was being rebuilt with this company, http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/. They needed a drawing of the intake footprint where the carb mounts to see if they had an adapter plate for the throttle body.If they had an adapter plate I think the cost would have been around $1000 + a few. More if they didn't and had to machine one. You'd have to weld an O2 sensor nut to your header collector for it as well. A bit too pricey for me at the time. I think there's a thread in here somewhere regarding distributerless ignition also if you really want to go all the way.

Array
    Status
    Smithville, MO
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    would love to go fuel injection...BUUUUT, dont wanna get too deep into it with money right now. if i"m gonna get into a mod job like that then i would just fab a 4.3 vortec or 350 into the ol' girl. just want my truck on the road for a decent amount of money and running good. would love to make it my everyday vehicle. love how it rides and drives. Have decided to pull the motor. So will be getting a new clutch, clutch cable, steering sector (as mine leaks), exhaust, header , and all that with a top end rebuild should be a good truck again. For now am gonna do all that and the full restoration will come in a few years down the line. Maybe an engine swap with the restoration...maybe!

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah I hear ya on the cost issue. My 4x4 is my daily driver and parts are getting more costly all the time, and harder to get. I'm trying to find another frame for it right now. Good luck with the restore. Check out http://cylinder-heads.com/automotive.cfm for a cylinder head.

Array
    Status
    Smithville, MO
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    well that sucks about you needing a frame. i know where a 2x d50 is right now getting ready to go to the crusher...i would buy it from the guy but have nowhere to store it. anybody near missouri need or want it?

Array
    Status
    Smithville, MO
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Cricket...Cricket...Cricket

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You don't have much of a choice in parts. You can grab a new head from Clearwater, you can have the cam reground. There are ways of mixing other parts from other engines into yours to get more from it but that is LSRMike's area.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    hey, why do people overlook the earlier smallblocks? 283, 307, 267, 305, that worked good in boats like the caprice. these trucks weigh a lot less.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Mainly because they are under powered cast iron lumps that get worse gas mileage then a 1 ton truck. As all SBC are based on the same block why have a 267 when you can have a 327/350 that's 3 times the power and has TONS of upgradedable parts.

Array
    Status
    Smithville, MO
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    Mainly because they are under powered cast iron lumps that get worse gas mileage then a 1 ton truck. As all SBC are based on the same block why have a 267 when you can have a 327/350 that's 3 times the power and has TONS of upgradedable parts.
    AMEN! lol That and i doubt any V8 will fit without a bunch of modification.

Just wanna get what i can out of the little 4banger without breaking the bank...i want gold for dirt price as the saying goes. Figured since the top end of my engine needs a complete overhaul...why not squeeze a little more oomph out of that power house

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Turbo it - like a starquest, or use a starquest motor.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Smithville, MO
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    have searched for one...there are barely any around where i live. the ones i can find are worthless.

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    yeah, a lump with 2x the hp and torque.
    G54b needs a carb and exhaust upgrade to make it run.
    not just a header, a bigger diameter exhaust.
    not a staged 2 bbl, a real 2bbl.

Array
    Status
    Smithville, MO
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cylinders View Post
    yeah, a lump with 2x the hp and torque.
    G54b needs a carb and exhaust upgrade to make it run.
    not just a header, a bigger diameter exhaust.
    not a staged 2 bbl, a real 2bbl.
    already on the list is the carb kit, header, all exhaust, head, cam, and debating on a bore...just trying to find secrets. didnt know about the carb kit till reading on here...and looking to find the right combination mainly. how much to bore...what cam...etc. etc. your guys' post have already helped me more than you know.