Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Cheap but good glow plug solinoid

Hello, I am using 12v glow plugs with a manual switch and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good but well built relay solinoid. The system is working awesome, no smoke what soever and I can leave the plugs on for 5 minutes easy without burning them out. However I do not think that the relay solinoid can handle being on for that long because it is starting to go out. Has anyone found a good one to use for this setup? Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Yeah, I'm running a Ford Style Solenoid on my truck (actually a Snow Plow Solenoid, but similar to the common Ford Solenoid), with a Momentary On Toggle Switch for a Trigger. 5 Seconds or so in cool/damp weather, 7 in cold weather, 9 seconds in super cold weather. That's all it takes to start the truck at the tap of a key, then i fire the glow plugs 2 more times (for about 4 seconds each) on the cold days to smooth out the idle.

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    What plugs are you using?

Pardon my ignorance, but as I understand, a solenoid is an electric motor; uses electricity to move something mechanical. Glowplug systems don't have any moving parts, so what does it do?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    its actually a high power relay in this instance; the solenoid part is the rod and disc that move to make and break the connection. The Ford type sonenoid is this version, the GM one has the disc also, but the rod moves the bendix on the starter to engage the flywheel / flexplate. It allows a small light duty switch to control the high draw starter easily.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks pennyman. I actually found one made by "Borg Warner"? not really sure how to spell that. Anyways it was only $30 with a liftetime warrenty and it actually is an OEM part if they look it up at the parts store. The 12v plugs that I am running are NGK Part Number : 7880 Y-710J. I have been running this system for 4 months and have not had any problems. I learned about it from a guy on here.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Can I ask why you would run them for 5 min??!! After 8 seconds you run the risk of melting and "Balloning". When u try to remove them they won't come easy and when they do the balloned tip will fall in the engine and force you to remove the head to get them out. 0 clearence between head and piston means instant knocking!

Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Some days I only run them for less than a minute other days more depending on the cold weather. The truck will smoke and stutter for the first mile unless I keep them on. Especially during cold weather. These have seemed to hold up fine. I did have a pair of 6 volts that burned out right away, all four of them, however when I pulled them out they came out easy I think because I coated their threads with motor oil before I put them in

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrow View Post
    Some days I only run them for less than a minute other days more depending on the cold weather. The truck will smoke and stutter for the first mile unless I keep them on. Especially during cold weather. These have seemed to hold up fine. I did have a pair of 6 volts that burned out right away, all four of them, however when I pulled them out they came out easy I think because I coated their threads with motor oil before I put them in