Array
    Status
    Hilo hawaii
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

Stock engine

Engine hasn't run for 2 years and won't for another year and a half what should I do to maintain it in the mean time to make sure when I'm ready to use it it runs?

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If it was a running engine it'll be ok. Maybe every 6 mo or so pour some oil over the valvetrain to keep it coated. If the engine is disassembled, same thing. Keep oil over the exposed metal areas like cylinder walls, bearing journals and such. Keep the valvetrain components and small parts like lifters that will be lubricated in a container of oil.

Array
    Status
    American Fork, UT
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

Other
    Is it mounted in the truck or loose? If you are in a very humid climate and the intake/exhaust ports are open you can get rusting between the rings and cylinder walls-best to keep them covered tightly.Turning the crank over with a wrench every so often is a good idea too.

Array
    Status
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    On my two SBC 350s in the boat, after I change the oil and filter and drain the blocks, I just tie plastic bags over the carbs (for the open valves). I lift the air cleaner, punch the bag down over the AC mounting bolt, set the AC back over the bag then tie the handles down around the base of the carbs. Winters here in "Eerie", Pennsylvania can go six months easily... much more then that and I would also crank them over with the high voltage lead off of the dizzy to run some oil up into the blocks. That is also what I do before firing them up at season start. Just another cent-and-a-half!!
    Cheers, Grumppa