Array
    Status
    Munford, TN
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Question

Ok, here comes your forum dummy. As I don't know anything about these trucks. My truck is running rough at idle, lots of hesitation. I have to set the idle high other wise it dies. I've had a few people look at it, and everyone keeps saying that it is acting like it needs more fuel. Figured, since I just got the truck and it had been sitting for awhile, I would stop by and buy a fuel filter. Got the filter. Now here is your dummy question. Where the hell is it at on the truck???? I can't find it anywhere, and knowing my luck with vehicles, the previous owner probably bypassed it.

Also, how hard is the heater core to replace. Mine is leaking coolant into the truck.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Filter in by the tank under the box clipped onto one of the bad mounts on the drivers side. Heater core is easy, just undo the cables, hoses,electrical. and 4 bolts on the housing and the whole assembly comes out.

there is a full manual on the first gen's on the forum's

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ory-manual-PDF

Array
    Status
    Munford, TN
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you, I will look for that.

Next round of questions:

What is the Balance Belt for? What is the use of the silencer that the Balance Belt goes to? Is there any sign to listen for or watch for, that would tell me if this belt is either too tight or too loose? Also, on the instructions to replace this belt, it talks about removing the screw on the side of the engine and inserting a screw driver to hold something dealing with the silencer. Is this a must? We couldn't get the rusted screw out, so we just made sure that the pulley didn't move, and stayed lined up with the marks, is this ok to do?

Just want to make sure that we are good, as I have been driving the truck and don't want to do any damage to it. I am not knowledgeable with these things, if you can tell.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Neat video about balance shaft correct placement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nflPydb2ZRY

Array
    Status
    Fernley, NV 89408
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    that is a great reference video
    thanks

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I never use the balance shaft line up holes. I just line up the marks. If you don't care about a little vibration you can eliminate it altogether. It won't give you huge power gains but less moving parts in an engine is always a good thing.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    If you line up the Oil Pump Shaft wrong the engine will shake violently. Do it right or suffer the consequences.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I must of gotten lucky all the times I replaced my belts, I read about the line up in the manual, but never could get the damn screw thing out of the block to check and figured it wasn't important. My engine has never shaken bad after a replacement, but I will be checking in the future belt replacements.