Thread: AFtermarket Tach

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'd only keep it if its needed to run the coil. I didnt have any sound problems when I switched my coils out.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The ballast resistor lowers the voltage and wattage draw at an idle when the coil has more time to charge between sparks. (IE: points closed) At a higher RPM it allows the voltage to increase since the coil needs more power to charge to full power with the shorter time between sparks. When the distributor opens the circuit (IE: points open) the magnetic fiend around the coil core is allowed to collapse into the coil and the voltage is increased to a High voltage state. Normally in the (KV) Kilovolt range. That power must go some where so it runs up the coil wire looking for an easy path to ground. A Tachometer needs to connect to the negative side of the coil. As this is how it tells how many times sparks. New electronic ignition system can cause the tac not to work correctly because the grounding of the coil may not be a complete and true ground. If it has to much Resistance in the circuit the tac may be unsure if the ground is made and give you incorrect readings. Some tac manufactures require a special adapter that can read the signal the coil is receiving.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by camoit; 07-03-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12