Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type

mighty max wheel bearing and brakes

Hey... I have a '96 Mighty Max. It's making a whining noise in the front at high speeds, which turns into more of a grinding noise at low speeds. Changed the front brake pads last week, it wasn't making the noise prior to that, the noise just started today. Changed the rear brake shoes today just to see if that was it, it wasn't. I was looking at the bearings online and it seems that they have to be pressed in??? All the ones I have ever changed were an entire hub assembly. Just wondering if this is a job I can do at home, and if you guys think it's even the bearings. While at high speeds when it's making the whining noise if I take a left curve the noise stops, then starts again once the wheels are straightened out. If I make a right turn there is no difference. Also... after changing the rear shoes the emergency brake won't catch unless it's pulled completely out. Is there a trick to adjusting them, or do I just go through the hole on the back side to tighten them up. THANKS!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The rear brakes are not adjusted correctly. They need to be sec correctly. Use a safe set tool. You can use them for free is Pep boys has it.

!cid__11-09-12_1601.jpg

The front bearings are are easy. They are removed with a punch from the hub. Packing is the impotent part.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type
    Thanks. I figured out today all the noise was coming from the front left wheel bearings. Apparently they have an inner and outer bearing, gonna try and change them tomorrow at work.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you look in the manual section> over 216 manuals> Montero it covers your truck. That is the manual you need. Also the first gen manual has the info you need to swap them out. There easy.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlock View Post
    Thanks. I figured out today all the noise was coming from the front left wheel bearings. Apparently they have an inner and outer bearing, gonna try and change them tomorrow at work.
    You could try repacking them with fresh wheel bearing grease and a toothbrush first if you want to save some money. I did on mine and it got rid of the whine. The OEM grease was chunky and hardened when I pulled them off. They're Timkin, they're good quality.

Protip: Grease every rubber bushing you can see, too, while you're down there to get rid of squeaks.

The torque specs on the bearings is very important to get right because the bearing expands with the heat generated. Torque is very light, like 7 ft-lbs, check the manual for the exact spec and use a torque wrench!