Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Rear end squeak

Yeah so I have what are seemingly unrelated problems but who knows. It is a 1984 D50 turbo diesel. I have a squeak coming from somewhere behind the cab. It seems to do it only when in gear and can only be heard at slower speeds. Also it seems like it gets worse when there is weight in the bed. I jacked up the rear and put it in gear but there was no sound, so it does seem weight related to me. The other problem is the clutch. sometimes fine and other times really hard to get into gear. The fluid resivour emptied once, so I bleed the system and refilled. The fluid has not gone down yet on about 1,000 miles. Could it be the throw out bearing causing all of this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It is either the packing between the leaf springs or bad leaf spring bushings, or both. There are supposed to be plastic slide sheets between the leafs that wear out over time. I replaced mine with urethane dance toe stops from figure roller skates - they are round and 1" in diameter and fit the spring perfectly. Same set has been on my 1980 for 19 years. There are urethane leaf spring bushings that replace the stock rubber ones that crack and fall out.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Don't know if you have a two piece drivezhaft or not but I had a squeak coming from my truck I couldn't figure out, thought it was leaf spring bushings etc... changed all those and nothing. Turns out when I toom my driveshaft out and put back in the center carrier bearing didn't get tightened down all the way to he support and was making noise.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Don't know if you have a two piece drivezhaft or not but I had a squeak coming from my truck I couldn't figure out, thought it was leaf spring bushings etc... changed all those and nothing. Turns out when I toom my driveshaft out and put back in the center carrier bearing didn't get tightened down all the way to he support and was making noise.
    yeah i had the same problem..but mine was on my bagged ext. cab b2600i. the carrier bearing was not tight and when i filled the bags i heard a squeak...

i check all my bushings..eventhough they were new..went through everything..
    went ahead and forgot about it...then i put exhaust on it and noticed it was loose...

but anyway---goodluck at getting it taken care of..

Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks. The sound is in a rythem.... or in other words it sounds like something is going in a circle and scrapes at a certain point in the revolution. Because the sound stops when I take it out of gear but the truck is still moving makes me think that it is not the leaf spring bushings. It does have a two piece drive shaft but that also turns when the truck is moving even when not in gear. It could be that when I put the truck in gear it is "loading" the drive lines which exerts a force on the bearings? Thanks for the Help

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Lube the "u joints" If that don't fix it then its the Carrier bearing. The rubber is probably rubbing on the drive line. It's not that expensive to change out the parts. Just make sure it goes back together the way it came apart. Mark the yokes with paint.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I wonder if this was resolved.

Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    No not yet. Thanks for the reply. one of the 4 bolts was loose on the rear drive line that attaches it to the differential. I just tightened it so I'll see if that was it. None of the U-joints have grease nipples? I read that the 4-wheel drive models do have them and am wondering if those would work on the 2-wheel drives? How exactly do you go about removing the drive lines? It seems that you start at the rear and un-bolt that, then how do you remove the nut at the the center bearing to get the rear drive line free? Then does the front just pull out of the tranny? Or is it easier to unbolt both drive lines and leave them connected until you have them out from under the truck. Seems like the seal is leaking on the tranny, should I just replace that too? Thanks

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    At the transmission side...i think it just slides out. Unbolt the driveshaft from the rear by ...i believe just those 4 bolts..

If its and ext. Cab. 2-pc just have to remove the carrier bearing i believe--after you do the above mentioned stuff..

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The driveshaft does just slip out. Be careful and shove a rag in the trans cause trans fluid may drip out. I'd buy some kind of drip pan or oil drain box to collect what comes out. If you do buy a oil drain box, might as well change the trans fluid since your there. Fill 2 quarts of gear oil into the trans into the fill plug, or unbolt the shifter assembly and fill in there, then bolt back up.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Unbolt the 4 bolts on the rear end, then there is a nut on each side(pass & driver) of the carrier bearing, then the front just slides out of the tranny. Real easy to take out. Might as well replace the rear seal on the tranny, it is only like $15 or so.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    This guy def. has enough how to on this thread guys....glad we could all be of help......NOW STOP THAT SQUEAK

Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks for the help. Now I just have to find the time to do the work.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrow View Post
    Thanks for the help. Now I just have to find the time to do the work.
    lmfao....yeah thats always the hard part.....

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If you fill the gear oil from the shift tower (easier), do be sure to pull the fill plug on the tranny so you don't overfill. Pretty simple, when it's full, it starts to spill out the fill port.