Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pacheco2189 View Post
    So I tried the starter fluid and the timing. Still the same. I was doing some other testing and noticed the spark seems weak. Could that be a problem and if so, what could cause it? Also, I know the vacuum system is obsolete but from looking at wiring diagrams the gray control box on the drivers side has like 2 ignition wires that hook into it. Do I need to have that hooked up?
    Weak spark could be due to poor ground or harness connections. Check the battery-to-frame-to-block and the head-to-firewall cables for continuity and clean their contact surfaces. Then check that the coil, resistor block and distributor wiring connections are clean and secure. The coil or ignition igniter in the distributor could be failing, but if it ran fine before the Weber install, I doubt these are causing the starting problem.
    I‘m not sure about the ignition wires to the gray device box. My schematic shows only one, a black and white wire from the resistor block to a choke relay in the box. Like the vacuum lines with the Weber, the harness connections to the box no longer have a purpose. I don’t think it needs to be connected.

What is the power source for the Weber’s choke? Maybe it’s competing with and killing power to the starting ignition? Look at this thread which describes a loss of spark after a Weber install: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...spark-to-plugs . See if yours starts after disconnecting the choke wire like rranger found. If it starts, find another power source for the choke. It needs to be energized only when the key is in the "On" position.
    Last edited by FMS88; 01-03-2019 at 10:35 AM.