Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weber 32/36

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA

Weber 32/36

Hey I was looking at the Weber 32/36's.... which one would I need for my truck? there is a few listed.... 32/36 DGEV, DGV, DGAV?? I do not know what the DGV or any of that means. I currently have a 2.0L SOHC, 5spd Man Trans, I think i have the electronic choke.... not sure.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    They are all similar but not identical - dgv is the standard manual choke with the throttle attachment under the bowl, E stands for electric choke. dfav has an automatic choke and has the throttle linkage opposite the bowl and is more like the mikuni carb in operation. I have run both dgev and dfav on my 1980, neither is better than the other; it comes down to where you want the cable to be, front or rear of the carb.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    So the DFAV, has the throttle cable, closest to the firewall like the mikuni?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yes it does and rotates in the same direction - most like the mikuni
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    San Francisco Bay, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Just did a DGEV on my 2.6 5-speed... cant believe i waited so long... Its 99% better now than the "rebuilt" OEM pile... Now if i can just fix my "stuck" brakelights !

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Did you use the existing mechanical pump off the head?
    Quote Originally Posted by 79D50fan View Post
    Just did a DGEV on my 2.6 5-speed... cant believe i waited so long... Its 99% better now than the "rebuilt" OEM pile... Now if i can just fix my "stuck" brakelights !

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Ok, got it. Do you need any kind of adapter to re-run the cable to the front, if all I can get my hands on is the DGEV? (it seems to be the most common to buy online)

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I swear Weber had a 36/36 progressive that would fit on our trucks..now I can't find it. If you can, and want a bit more "oomph' without the gas-sucking of the 38/38 Synchro...buy one.

I know with both Redline and Weber Carbs Direct, if you specify your make/model, you will usually get the appropriate adapters as well as mounting plates (conversion kit).

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    What is the difference between the REDLINE and the Weber Direct carbs? I have one of the older ones, a Weber ... any problems with these on a 1980 2.6ltr?

Quote Originally Posted by Acuta73 View Post
    I swear Weber had a 36/36 progressive that would fit on our trucks..now I can't find it. If you can, and want a bit more "oomph' without the gas-sucking of the 38/38 Synchro...buy one.

I know with both Redline and Weber Carbs Direct, if you specify your make/model, you will usually get the appropriate adapters as well as mounting plates (conversion kit).

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
    What is the difference between the REDLINE and the Weber Direct carbs? I have one of the older ones, a Weber ... any problems with these on a 1980 2.6ltr?
    The Redline is a genuine Spanish made Weber carb - Weber Carbs Direct sells a chinese version that has an internal fuel metering system that can't be altered due to poor design and quality castings/machining. They are impossible to tune and cause the rich/lean fuel problems that can be tuned out of a genuine Weber. This has been extensively covered here on MightyRam due to the large number of people who have been burned by the copycat carbs sold by WCD - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...carb-Becareful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Would a Weber made 10 years ago be the "good one" or the junk?

Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The Redline is a genuine Spanish made Weber carb - Weber Carbs Direct sells a chinese version that has an internal fuel metering system that can't be altered due to poor design and quality castings/machining. They are impossible to tune and cause the rich/lean fuel problems that can be tuned out of a genuine Weber. This has been extensively covered here on MightyRam due to the large number of people who have been burned by the copycat carbs sold by WCD - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...carb-Becareful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    i found a guy that is willing to swap carb for carb plus $50. Not sure what kinda weber it is though, my thought is any weber has to be better than the factory Mikuni garbage though, right?

Array
    Status
    Charles City, VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    what kind of electric fuel pump or fuel regulator would you need to run a weber?? been lookin up regulators and found some 1-6 psi ones how much psi do i need to run?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    I believe its 3-4 psi if I'm not mistaken

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I run a holley that puts out 5-7 psi without a regulator - since its back by the tank, it doesn't overpressure the needle and seat like the mechanical pump off the head does. An oil pressure safety switch should also be used to prevent the pump from running when the motor loses oil pressure.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Charles City, VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    is it possible to just run a regulator?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you run a regulator between the pump and carb, the back pressure will blow the pump in short order; I know this from experience. Use an electric pump mounted back by the tank after the fuel filter
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    interesting that you mentioned that about the fuel pump PennyMan. I installed a new mech. pump with holly regulator in february a few weeks ago the truck felt sluggish i checked the pressure and was only making 1 psi couldnt imagine a new fuel pump failing in a few months I guess now I know why! where did you mount your electric pump?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Its the brakelight switch at the top of the pedal - just unscrews and unplugs. About $20 - its used on many different cars and trucks of the era. Don't bother getting a used one; it is just as old and ready to fail.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    If the little rubber bumper is missing replace it otherwise the plunger will slip into the hole and the brake light then stays on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Its the brakelight switch at the top of the pedal - just unscrews and unplugs. About $20 - its used on many different cars and trucks of the era. Don't bother getting a used one; it is just as old and ready to fail.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    at the tank after the filter - I made a plate that spanned the bed mounts and mounted the pump and filter to it. Run 12 ga wire to the pump to prevent voltage drop due to the long run.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    what brand/model of pump are you using? i have the Weber (solex) pos now i was looking and apparently Weber Carbs Direct isnt even selling the solex carbs now. What actually fails in the mech. fuel pump due to the regulator? what kind hp numbers are possible with the 2.0 with minor mods ...carb..header..exhaust...etc

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Its a Holley - 70gph I think. Solex is out of the carb business, thats why they don't sell them any more. The diaphram collaspes in the pump and won't move gas. The 2.0 is limited by a lack of parts - headers currently are non- existant until blindeyed gets the one I sold him and has it reproduced; carb with a 32/36 will improve power and economy and can be adjusted and rejetted for future mods. A custom bent 2" exhaust will also help with the flow but not be too big to hurt low end torque. I can't give you numbers yet as my 86 project truck is still stock; it won't be once I have time to work on it.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    got my "GENUINE" Weber (not pos solex) in the mail today cant wait to install it!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    take some pictures of the install so others can see how easy it is to do.
    Pennyman1

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast