Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Leaking steering gearbox x2

Well I noticed that the steering was getting stiff, and I took a look at the box. It seems I've sprung another leak. This time though it's leaking around the adjustment screw.

I don't recall seeing any call for gaskets, washers or any other such devices at the top, but perhaps I've missed something.

I'd rather not have to wrestle the entire box back out of the truck. Has anyone experienced a leak from the adjustment screw on these things, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

I was just beginning to enjoy not having leaks from the truck.

Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Just read up on some other forums, looks like there should possibly be an aluminum washer under the nut. Wasn't one when I disassembled the unit. I'll have to see if I can find one. Anyone else confirm if that's the case?

Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well, got a close enough fitting washer on top, hopefully that sorts it. Steering has gotten really stiff though so I think there might be some air in the lines. I wager I'll have to pull out my steering stops and remove the front wheels so I can get things turned lock to lock and force out all that air. Either that or something went seriously wrong inside the box itself, which would make me sad.

Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So it looks like the lash was set wrong and while it ran good for a while it then got tight. I backed the lash out and it's easy to turn the wheel again but the wheel is really sloppy.

That and it's still leaking. I put a washer in but it's actually leaking between the threads. I'm hoping it's not the set screw that's buggered. Maybe I can just replace the nut, or does anyone know if this is loctite or teflon tape fixable? I'd really rather not have to pull this damn steering box apart again, I hate it.

Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    To continue my own solo thread, it looks like so far the thread sealant is working. Granted it was just a quick trip down the street. It was some pretty mild sealant too. I might go to something a bit stronger if it still presents an issue. I also spied a manual gearbox, which I would not be against. My old volvo was manual and it didn't give me any issues. But anyway, so far no seeping, I'll report back in another week or so of driving.

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I had a box rebuilt by the local guys and didn't notice that after the rebuild it was leaking badly out the adjustment screw. Drove it 6 months till it started screaming at me and had to pull the whole deal out again. Seems it kills the pump with air. Don't know where to go for a quality rebuild any more.

I hate manual steering on a diesel.

Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well, just did an hour trip up the highway and back and no leaks. The sealant I put on there was just some cheapie pack of oil plug sealant from autozone. Seems to work so far.