Array
    Status
    Brattleboro Vt
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55

Valve adjustment

Got a quick question on valves for the 4d56. The core support on my rig an 85 might max says valve setting is .0098 I set them to .010. Afterwards I realized that I actually have the newer 4d56 head on the truck. From the manual I downloaded on this site it looks like .015 is the proper setting for this head. Does this sound right to you folks.

Array
    Status
    Brattleboro Vt
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55
    Sorry looking again at the PDF .006 inches or .15mm cold. So I have my valves a little loose at .010 inches?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah a little loose at 0.010" if spec is 0.006", I don't know much about diesel engines but on a gas engine that means it should start up easier but you'll make slightly less power and it might chatter or tick a little more. Isn't there a range in the manual? So long as they're all within range, it's OK. Make sure you have the intake and exhaust valves set at correct tightness, they're often different from each other.

Since these are metric engines, I tend to disregard standard measurements and always use metric so I don't get confused and mix units. I black out the Imperial units in the manual with a Sharpie and take a yellow highlighter to the metric units.

Sucks to do the valves and have to take it apart again if you use the wrong units. Everyone has done it. Remember when NASA lost that multimillion dollar Mars probe because the engineers forgot to convert the entry velocity from Imperial to metric?

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/01/news/mn-17288

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    i've set them at 0.15mm cold