Array
    Status
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Hello, People

I have been driving a 1988 Dodge Ram 50 Sport with a 5-speed 2.6. It's a sweet little truck! It was clean, but has a little dent in the bed due to my room mates mom backing into it... Low miles, yadda yadda. Only problem is I think the carb is running rich. I don't know much about engines, so my assumption is poor at best. But when I floor the gas, the engine bogs down and doesn't accelerate fast. I plan on putting a weber carb on the truck, but I'm not sure which model I should get. More research in my future. Glad I found this site though! I look forward to conversations, jokes and awesome trucks.

-Brutal Chugs

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The stock carb is awful and overly complicated on these trucks. They're wheezy and stumble on themselves on WOT. But try the inexpensive tune up stuff first before upgrading the carb and see if that helps. Try cleaning it and all of the passageways with carb cleaner and a single thread of copper wire from a threaded wire. Make sure the rubber and plastic parts aren't cracked or leaking. Clean the PCV system, EGR and air filter, too. Replace the spark plugs and wires if you can't remember the last time you changed them, too.

Or if you want to replace it, you want this Weber:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk614.htm

Array
    Status
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    The stock carb is awful and overly complicated on these trucks. They're wheezy and stumble on themselves on WOT. But try the inexpensive tune up stuff first before upgrading the carb and see if that helps. Try cleaning it and all of the passageways with carb cleaner and a single thread of copper wire from a threaded wire. Make sure the rubber and plastic parts aren't cracked or leaking. Clean the PCV system, EGR and air filter, too. Replace the spark plugs and wires if you can't remember the last time you changed them, too.

Or if you want to replace it, you want this Weber:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk614.htm
    Thanks! I have read quite a bit about the weber and it sounds like it should be done anyway. Is there a specific reason i should go with what you linked or is that just the one for my truck?

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1995 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

4G63-T
    Welcome in the forum..I am also newbie in this forum site.I am very happy to have chosen to be a part of your community and I hope i enjoy and gathered informative information about the forum.i would like to learn a lot from this forum and want to help for the betterment of this forum we will learn together..thank you