Array
    Status
    Ocean City, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

New Ram 50! some issues that need to be squared away

Just picked up my first ram 50 over the weekend. Truck looks great and has only 58,xxx miles but had been sitting for a bit. Started it up and it drives well albeit a few minor things. I haven't had time to actually tear into the truck yet but will update this thread the further I go. Biggest issue right now is a hanging and very high idle that is more prominent when the truck is warmed up. Here are a few pictures of a broken hose that I saw right off the bat. What is this and could it cause the problem? It goes from the air intake to the exhaust manifold. I can tell mpg's seem to be low right now too.

and a few other pictures of things I noticed right away just randomly looking under the hood:
    Looks like a bad valve cover gasket?

Guess I'll be buying some plugs and wires:

Have no idea what this plug goes to, hanging off round hat object in picture, on carb side of engine:

I know the muffler/exhaust needs to be replaced as it has some holes. I would like to replace the old header with a non-EGR equipped header/air injection while I am doing the rest of the exhuast to eliminate some headaches and unsightly lines from under the hood. Although I have heard from searching if you do this you have to do away with the mikuni?

All for now, gotta stop procrastinating homework by fiddling with the new 50. Any help and input is much appreciated!

Array
    Status
    American Fork, UT
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

Other
    Congrats on the new ride! Crazy low miles! I would check the speedometer cable to see if it's broken. What year is the truck? The high idle could be a couple of things-broken or disconnected vacuum hose, or idle adjustment on the carb. Choke could be sticking, too. The flex tube in your picture wouldn't cause it-it just shunts warmer air from the exhaust manifold heat shroud to the air cleaner when the engine's cold to run better until warmed up. Spark plug wires are damaged, definitely. Removing emissions equipment will depend on your states emissions policies. The stock carb runs well until it gets old or parts wear-has a plastic body that can warp. I have an 87 and installed a Weber after it failed emissions tests. You'll find great help and experience on this site, people are happy to give a hand and good advice. If you're not afraid to turn a wrench you can get lots done without a lot of money. Let us know what you find out! Good luck and welcome to the club.

Array
    Status
    Ocean City, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureboy View Post
    Congrats on the new ride! Crazy low miles! I would check the speedometer cable to see if it's broken. What year is the truck? The high idle could be a couple of things-broken or disconnected vacuum hose, or idle adjustment on the carb. Choke could be sticking, too. The flex tube in your picture wouldn't cause it-it just shunts warmer air from the exhaust manifold heat shroud to the air cleaner when the engine's cold to run better until warmed up. Spark plug wires are damaged, definitely. Removing emissions equipment will depend on your states emissions policies. The stock carb runs well until it gets old or parts wear-has a plastic body that can warp. I have an 87 and installed a Weber after it failed emissions tests. You'll find great help and experience on this site, people are happy to give a hand and good advice. If you're not afraid to turn a wrench you can get lots done without a lot of money. Let us know what you find out! Good luck and welcome to the club.
    Never afraid to turn a wrench thats for sure! I was amazed at the miles as well, overall pretty sound. Where I live I dont need to the emissions equipment on the truck so I figured I would just take it off.

Camoit in my other thread confirmed its an electric choke and for me to check that out, most likely a burnt out choke coil.

Any chance you could confirm that the leak in the pic is a valve cover gasket? Might have some time to work on the truck tomorrow.