Thread: Balancing Shaft Elimination Kit for a 4D55 / 4D56?

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Balancing Shaft Elimination Kit for a 4D55 / 4D56?

Do they make them.

I yanked the 56 out of my '84 Today when i noticed there was alot of rubber residue covering the front of the engine. Found that the Balancing Shaft (driver's side) had seized up and took out the belt (quite recently, because it did build oil pressure right up until i parked it). The oil port on the Upper B/S is plugged shut with bearing material too.

I'm sending the block, and assorted goodies off to the machine shop to be hot tanked, and have the block bored (broke a ring, scarred the cylinder). When it gets back i'd like to eliminate the Balancing Shafts if i can, my old 2.6L had a B/S Elimination Kit in it (my dad installed it when it was still his truck) and that 2.6L lived to 270,000 miles of daily abuse (plowing snow, daily driving, towing, ect). I never noticed any vibrations with the shafts eliminated either.

If they do sell them, where do i get one of the kits?

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    im gonna post to bump this thing to the top of the list....im sure someone can lead you in the right direction...

i am of no help when it comes to these little motors...i sold mine bc a 350 is much easier to work on....and i already know a good bit about them and have parts stacked to the ceiling...

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    There is a vfaq post on cheap balance shaft elimination by utilizing the oem bearings. I'm sure since this is a Mitsubishi motor it will apply.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...imination.html
    Vfaq is in the dsm need to know sites, if most are not familure with it.

Array
    Status
    Laporte, IN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    i did my own style balance shaft elimination. the oil going to the inner bearing of the block is fed thru the shaft. there are a lot of these shafts seizing up and spinning the bearing. so all i did was, cut the shafts just past the outer bearing, weld the hole on the end where the oil fed the outer bearing. reinstall with gears and all but,,,,,,,no belt required.... you will have better oil pressure. but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i recommend you have your rotating assy balanced. note.....no modifications needed to the block due to the oil was fed threw the shaft..

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Quote Originally Posted by wrngwae View Post
    i did my own style balance shaft elimination. the oil going to the inner bearing of the block is fed thru the shaft. there are a lot of these shafts seizing up and spinning the bearing. so all i did was, cut the shafts just past the outer bearing, weld the hole on the end where the oil fed the outer bearing. reinstall with gears and all but,,,,,,,no belt required.... you will have better oil pressure. but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i recommend you have your rotating assy balanced. note.....no modifications needed to the block due to the oil was fed threw the shaft..
    It goes to the machine shop on friday anyway, so it's no big eal to get the assembly balanced. That's exactly what happened to mine too, the shaft seized. Prior to it seizing i was building 85psi oil pressure (cold) 55 - 60 hot. Got any pics of how you modded your shafts, or maybe a "Cheap" MS-Paint "diagram" of where to cut mine?

EDIT : The machine shop will be installing the Balancing Shaft Bearings for me (i can't find where i put that tool), My dad mentioned something about installing the bearings 90* out (so the holes didn't line up) on the old 2.6's to block off the oil flow when eliminating the shafts. Is that something that will need to be done on the Diesel when i have them install the bearings?

Array
    Status
    Laporte, IN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    yea sorry no pics,,,,,,lost my build thread on the old mightyd50 site.....but i cut them just past the outer most bearing. install them in the front cover ,,,,you will see where to cut without tearing anything up........and weld up the holes in the shafts.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I guess no one clicked the link I posted. Lol. It's for the Dsm motors but applicable.