Tearing into truck to do some well deserved repairs. I knew the manifold was cracked already, but it has grown since last time I removed it. Posted pics...
cracks.jpg
This is the replacement that was installed by Mitsubishi when they were forced to recall vehicles for cracking. Seems to me that the recall should continue as long as the manifold is in use on american highways, but it has since been removed from the listings of their responsibility.
I have one that is not cracked for the reinstall.

I also have a technical question concerning these wideblocks/narrowblocks. I did some visual comparing to 2 different blocks and I noticed that the engine plates are what is being measured to determine the differnce from wide and narrow. If this is true, would not the blocks be the same and only the plates are different? It surrprises me that Mitsubishi would make such a change in their engine block manufacturing to fit a transmission. The most cost efficient would be just a plate change and keep the short blocks all the same.
I look at this Automatic G63B and the block (iron with pistons installed) look exactly like a manual trtansmission engine block, Minus the engine plates of course. Are these actually different beyond the plates and if so, what makes them different. If you removed both engine plates from both style engines, would you be able to tell what was wide and what was narrow?

Here is a photo of an Auto and a manual engine and their plates. Why can't we use the block from, let's say the automatic and bolt it up to the plate that you removed a manual transmission block from? Seems to me they should call them wide plate engine and narrow plate engine, right?
plates.jpg