Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '89 Toyota MR2 - '74 Celica GT - '86 Mits Mighty Max - '85 Ford Thunderbird

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Just went through carb and found a lot of jelled fuel inside, plus a sunken float half filled with fuel and clogged emulsion tubes which cause fuel to squirt out of accelerator pump and out a hole at the top of the carb.

Check out this video.

This was a new carb installed but it must of sat on a shelf for a long time to have so much old fuel caked inside it. Edelbrock pre-runs their carbs and then usually ships them and they can have some residual fluid inside. After I replaced the floats (thanks to Camoit for the advise) and cleaned all the tubes, vents and jets, the car is running awesome. It sounds like a monster right now and will be a blast to drive I'm sure.
    I need to fine tune the console shifter in relationship with the AOD transmissions. It is such a relief to move the shifter from column to console because the the linkage was so sloppy that pinpointing a gear was so far off. Now it is firm and the pointer actually is pointed at the right letter on the shifter label. I have to knock out the column shift shaft and remove the shifter arm, but the main work is completed. I spent a good 3 hard days under that car removing all the old linkage and reversing the transmission lever for the reverse cable connection from a pull to a push since the console cable attaches from the back on the lever. The shifter is off a 5.0 GT Mustang which just about everything is compatible because my car and a mustang are all fox body chassis.
    Getting closer to to going for a drive in it and I am eager as hell to see what it can do. All the work probably added about 75 horse to the thing.

Be sure you are using HD by clicking on the flower looking icon at the bottom right in video player.
    Adjusted timing & mixture a bit, repaired carb.
    UPDATED VIDEO
    Last edited by BradMph; 03-24-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    "Little Excited"
    Took the TBird out for a little spin the other night. Set off car alarms and was actually kind of fun. Need to adjust the AOD TV rod a bit, but it should be ok after.

HD Video

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Well, good old Ford reveals one of it's notorious problems and this is the ignition electrical switch in the steering column. The car was having start problems where it would start and stop right after. So I replace the electrical switch and the key tumbler set switch and what a difference. I am getting no intermittent electrical problems like i was having for a while. When I pulled the covers off the column, the electrical switch was just dangling there. I did a search on line about this and I am not the Lone Ranger , many others had this problem and It almost ended up as a recall at one time.
    I also installed a new MSD Pro-Billet distributor with a steel gear. Replaced the new column shifter cable with my own creation rod linkage with 2 eye bearings. Installed a Lokar TV cable to replace the old TV rod. I have the trany almost filled with fluid again and will check pressure maybe tomorrow. I am working on the advance setup in the distributor and will install new springs and advance stop. The car sounds so awesome now and is very crisp in compare before these changes.
    I had the car registered as well and I should be on the road with it very very soon. I want to get it painted as soon as it is drive-able, but will probably paint it myself. Paint shops are too expensive and use crap paint.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Took the car out for a spin and no 2-3 gears. I am almost positive it is human error that is causing this problem and will be dropping the trany pan again to check my work on the shift corrector kit I installed. I plainly remember that the B&M kit instructions were a bit vague on a couple things and the spacer that was installed in this accumulator just wasn't quite right. I also went to a very well known trany shop here in town and he said drop the valve body and bring it in and he will check it for a possible mistake. I am almost positive it is somewhere in that 2-3 accumulator valving.
    Other then this the car ran pretty friggin good. Has a great duel exhaust tone, good cam lobe, peppy as hell and all other issues are fixed.

Will update when I have made repairs.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The ignition switches on your era Ford were recalled for some models - they would short out while the car was sitting in the garage with the car off and burn peoples houses down.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    The ignition switches on your era Ford were recalled for some models - they would short out while the car was sitting in the garage with the car off and burn peoples houses down.
    Yikes. What is it with you guys and spontaneously combusting cars?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    switch.jpg
    Here is an example of the switch and what would happen to them. Mine was just like this when I found it wasn't working.

Your absolutely right Pennyman, though I don't think mine was on the list. I did find something about the dash cluster being replaced though on the door jam on a sticker.
    Last edited by BradMph; 07-13-2016 at 12:40 AM.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Guess who got his AOD transmission to change gears? Me!! After a total going through on the valve body, checking every valve port and spring and plunger and finally reinstalling, I got it to up shift. It shifts with some authority as well, but I still have some tweaking to do to make it feel more reliable. Since going through the TB and installing, the gear lever is off a bit and when in Drive it will sort of be in/out of gear. I just pulled back the shifter a bit to give a little more into the divot of the lever. Going to crawl under it again, make the adjustment for sure shifts and then onto the Throttle Valve adjusting which is almost dead on right now. 0 psi at idle in Neutral and immediate climbing as soon as the gas peddle is touched.
    I had no funny trany smells or warning signs after the test drive so I think things are going to be ok I hope. I romped on it a few times and it is going to be different then I am use to. I got to hold back until I get comfy with this extra power under the foot for sure.

Anyway, just posting a status update. if I can find my damn video camera, I'll document the drive.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOZMX6-0a2U
    Little video to see what I am doing.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Soooo shiny! Looks awesome Brad (and the Queen soundtrack sounds awesome too)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

I made another one here.
    Have been taking it out for short drives to the store. It gets some attention when pulling into the parking lots, but needs to be painted soon. It seems to be loading up a bit after driving for awhile, so I am not sure yet if it is running too rich or what. My AEM mixture gauge is showing around 12.0 to 13.5. I have some questions pending in a forum to see if I can get this figured out. I also am looking into a set of new GT40 or aluminum heads also. These present heads don't give it the full potential it deserves. I'm trying to get around 300+hp and should be able to with a new set of heads.

This thing is beginning to be fun, lol. Here is the Startup / Run video July 30th 2016
    Last edited by BradMph; 07-30-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Just found this little tidbit concerning the Ford Thunderbird. I sure hope this was true, but it isn't. Would be a beautiful car. Strange how these older body vehicles seem to rise again in car manufactures. I guess the baby boomers are still alive and well and want their car bodies back.
    Concept Thunderbird.jpg
    Last edited by BradMph; 04-21-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Some good info here for American Car Owners.
    American Rear Ends.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I got tired of forken over high registration cost to the greedy DOL here in Washington State so I went and got the collector plates from the state. Sucks so much that the state steals your driving rights, "The Right To Travel Freely" and sells it back to you and for a 32 year old vehicle it is $88.00. All my vehicles are smog exempt also and they put on my TBird reg that I had to get a test. Strange that they can make such a stupid blunder on a car the has been smog test free for 7 years now.
    So I paid the collector fees and from now on , no more paying registration cost and the car is insurance exempt. Can be driven to a from meets or shows, to sell, to leisure drive. The lady said, don't get caught going to grocery store or similar. I was like, what? At this point I can drive it where I want to drive it and can't be pulled over just to ask if I am going to the damn store. Apparently they never heard of the Fifth Amendment, if I answer them at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12