Array
    Status
    washington st.
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

slipping tranny

first of all, this is the best forum. ive been on other forums an have been on forums for my RC racing and everybody on here has been such a big help an very friendly. love it. heres the deal, i dont know a thing about trannys, let alone automatics, which is what is in my d50. when i was putting in new motor, i had a mechanic put in new filter kit an gaskets in my tranny heres the problem. every once in awhile when its in drive and starting from a dead stop, it feels like it is slipping real bad. my truck will move, barely, but its like its in neutral almost, then it will catch an start to go. an it seems like it only does it when its cold. also, it wont do it if i shift it manually. it never did this before my new motor an having tranny serviced. any ideas guys?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It could be the cable from the carb to the trans is out of adjustment. There was a thread on here about a guy that said he was slipping then he readjusted it and it fixed the problem he was having. It was about 2 - 3 weeks ago. It should be in the power train section, i think. Things change on here so fast you need to check in every day or you miss things.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That was me camoit. I was having a 2-3 slip shift problem and the problem I'm having will fix his too. The kickdown linkage is out of adjustment. I'll take pics of mine tomorrow. Atm I've got my linkages out of the truck and on a bench. I'm waiting for more parts. There were more bushings than I thought when I ordered parts. There's 3 small bushings, a pivot linkage with 2 large bushings, a rod and an attatchment at the trans. Over time these bushings wear, split and fall out. Mine was missing all 3 and would shift into 3rd by 15mph.
    There should be an extra cable from the carb to the trans, not to the firewall. Follow it to it's hookup and pull up on it gently. If there's alot of slack before you feel it grab the bushings are toast. You can also get to them from the bottom and check there too. My rod almost fell out due to the looseness from no bushings.

Array
    Status
    washington st.
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    i dont have an extra cable from carb to tranny. all i have is the kickdown rod that hooks up to carb linkage. yes, diffentely take some pics if u wouldnt mind so i can see what your talking about. thanks

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Oh I see you have a 1980. Look in the manual section > first gen factory manual. that will help. it covers the auto.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yeah that one's going to be different than mine. Mine runs a cable from the throttle to the linkage. I think the first gens ran a solid linkage like the old chryslers since it's pretty much a chrysler transmission theyve been using forever.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the 1st gens had a baby 904 chrysler design auto made by borg warner - aisin. Check to make sure the rod isn't binding and the arm on the tranny is returning to home position - use a carb return spring on the valve body arm if it isn't returning to home position. I had a 91 dog dakota that had an a500 auto tranny in that I did that to it to fix the sticking valve body arm
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Lawton, OK
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Sounds like the one ways. Have you neutral slamed it lately? LOL But it could be lots of other things

Array
    Status
    washington st.
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    no i havent. and it only does it when its cold an just starting out an from a complete stop. when it does it, i just put it up in park an then back to drive an its good. pretty stumped.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    how long has it been since you changed the fluid and filter. That can make them do strange things.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Lawton, OK
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Automatic transmissions are insane. Its a miracle that they even do what they do. Theres alot of things that can go wrong very fast. Every transmission is very different but alot are similar in the powerflow.

Array
    Status
    Lawton, OK
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    The best thing you could do is look up the service manual for your specific transmission. They are usually $10-$25, but if you have one you can do just about anything to it. if its doing a certain thing in a certain gear, then you hit the book and it will have a breakdown of what all applies in that gear. Google "automatic service manuals" and look for yours, trust me, it will save you alot of money in the long run. And if you had to you could turn around and sell the book for what you bought it for!

Array
    Status
    washington st.
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    how long has it been since you changed the fluid and filter. That can make them do strange things.
    when i had the new motor put in, they put in a shift kit an new filter kit an gaskets. im thinking somewhere along the kickdown rod or something is out of adjustment. im thinking along the lines of what pennyman said about putting a carb return spring in valve body because the arm is not returning to the home position an not sealing. i will google the tranny service manuals an see if i can figure it out

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Time to spank a mechanic. Check for burnt fluid, smell don't taste.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Also we might have the manual. We have in the manual section > over 216 manuals there is a bunch of trany manuals. But I'm not sure if it's there. But it's worth a look. But it should be in the first gen manual. It covers your auto.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Keep in mind the spring goes on the arm from the valvebody outside of the tranny. The other issue could be that they left a ball out of the valve body or did or didn't drill holes where they needed to be for the shift kit.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980