ever get a video?

Array
    Status
    OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes Pennyman and custom 50. Im wondering what you would recommend for a g54b with a tri-y header and 2.25 exhaust. i want my ram 50 to be just as loud as these 85' toyotas you see mudding. im thinking of either a cherrybomd 18" glasspack or the 13" body 19" overall Flowmaster 40 series. What do you recomend to make my 2.6 LOUD THROATY AND DEEP?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    not the cherry bomb - it makes our motor sound sick in a bad way. Definately the flowmaster 40 or 44 series - Geronimo has a weber 32/36 carb with a tall air filter, pacesetter header, 2.25 pipe with a free flow convertor, and a fm 44 2.25 n to 2 2" outlets to gibson tips. Will have new sound video this weekend - the one from the camera phone sounded like crap and not at all like my truck.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    pennyman1,

I was curious about your carb upgrade. I see that you went with the weber 32/36 carb "jetted"..

1. what does jetted mean?
    2. I have a 1987 mighty max I am trying to add some power too, nothing too wild (yet).. would you recommend a carb upgrade? Mine is running fine, I just want a little more umph...
    3. I am thinking about having my exhaust done in the 50 series from the headers all the way back, are muffler shops pretty knowledgeable on what needs to go into my truck? Obviously they are muffler shops but do they really have the know how to say, "Yes, this will work good" or "No, yer stupid, this is what you need"

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by 1987-bishi View Post
    pennyman1,

1. what does jetted mean?
    2. I have a 1987 mighty max I am trying to add some power too, nothing too wild (yet).. would you recommend a carb upgrade? Mine is running fine, I just want a little more umph...
    3. I am thinking about having my exhaust done in the 50 series from the headers all the way back, are muffler shops pretty knowledgeable on what needs to go into my truck? Obviously they are muffler shops but do they really have the know how to say, "Yes, this will work good" or "No, yer stupid, this is what you need"

Thanks
    #1: Jetted means he changed the main and secondary jets in the float bole to a different size then what came in the carb. This was for turning to his application.
    #2: A new carb is a good starting point. I see you are in Savannah, Georgia. We have a member out near you. Goes by the name of ‎ LethalEthan. You can find his thread in the other car section. You might want to pop in and say hello.
    #3: Do what you can afford. There are some good off the shelf headers out there. You can find them on e-bay at times.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Look at the work the muffler shop does , especially with custom bending. If the pipes are rippled on the inside of the bend, walk away. the inside bend is the most critical, as a rough rippled bend causes turbulance and negates the work and expense of a custom exhaust. For a normally aspirated motor, 2.25 is big enough to reduce back pressure, but not so much as to rob the motor of low end torque. That's why so many rice runners are dead off the line with tennis ball launcher exhaust pipes. If you can find one for the 2.6, get a Doug Thorley tri - y header; its designed for max torque, unlike the pacesetter header which is max power. Contact Doug Thorley about availability - they may still have them in stock, or may be able to make you one if you asked, as they still have the jigs for them. My jets were changed to match the increased breathing of the motor with all the mods I made to prevent leaning out the mixture in the cylinders. I have run a weber on Geronimo, my 1980 Dodge D-50, since 1983, and have never regretted it.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

Thanks Camoit for the info... it's an awesome starting point, and i'll take your advice and pop in to say hi to LethalEthan...

thanks again.

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

Awesome info man, thanks a million.. i'll surely contact Doug.. I just received a check from a class action lawsuit and wanna pamper my baby a little before the money is gone.. lol..

talk to ya later.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Ha ha ha ha..... Help spend money, not a problem. Just ask before you buy. Everyone here will help to keep you from making the mistakes we have all made in the past. Hind site is 20 20.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok, i guess its the 40 or 44 for me. I hear the theres a delta flow 40, super 40 and origional 40 series flowmasters. what should i get for my 2.6 with 2.25 single pipe? i noticed you have a super 44 FM on your Geronimo. I want a deep throaty tone but not to loud sounding in the cab. Should i just get the origional 40 series or delta flow? Im torn between your 44 set up.

Array
    Status
    OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I guess the super 40 is a 5x10" case and the origional delta 40's and super 44's are 4x9.5". so ultimatly i want a smaller, deeper, yet louder muffler. the origional 40 series is a big louder and the 44 is alittle deeper and add torque i read. Is this true? When all else fails go deepest right?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes the 44 is the way to go, and it won't reverb in the cab either.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok, i was hearing alot of good about the origional 40 series and super 44. Great the 44 wins. Do you know if Weber makes a carb with throttle linkage behind the carb and pull its way toward the engine? I have a 5 speed electric choke in an 86'. your carb set up is what i really want but preferably the linkage nearest the firewall. Is there a Weber like that for 5 speeds? most Weber kits seem to have a bar that allows for the throttle linkage facing the front. Thanks man.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    See my other post for the info - dfav is the model
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Just wondering here.... I was looking at the Pacesetter headers and read the other post "decent header", and became concerned about the quality of Pacesetter from what pennyman1 had to say about them and looked into the Doug Thorley Header. I did find it here, http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/tr...thy133y-.aspx# , but I just want to make sure that what I get going forward is what is the ideal setup for the money.

I'm thinking:

Doug Thorley Header
    Flow Master Super 44 Muffler- 1 offset in and 2 out
    Flow Master Piping

The only question is what kinda piping kit can I get to link it all up?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There is no piping kit out there for our trucks - the last one I knew of was from cyclone headers back in 1983 to go with their anti reversionary header - that was the first header and exhaust I had on Geronimo. The exhaust will have to be custom bent - btw, that link comes up and says that there is no header available for the ram 50 2.6, sorry.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    i know this is an older thread but i didnt want to be starting a new one for such a small question. anyway, i have a 2.6 g45b in my 86 and was wondering which muffler would have a better sound, cherrybomb glasspack or something like a flowmaster 40 or 50 series. im looking for a deep note but not to raspy or loud, any suggestions?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Flow master......
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I think common consensus is Flowmaster 52....could be wrong, but pretty sure.

Array
    Status
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    which would be quieter? just wondering, and thanks for the help guys

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Im running the delta flow 40 series on my 2.0 turbo and was on my old stock 2.0 also. It has a nice deep tone when you get on it but it isnt super loud, i think its perfect tone/loudness wise. No raspyness either

Array
    Status
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    i think im gonna go with the 50 series, thanks for the help guys

Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Dodge V8
    I had a pace-setter header 4-1 with a custom 2 1/4 flex pipe with a spiral cored 'glass pack' style then to a turbo muffler and it was nice and quiet.
    TOO bad it won't fit on this 86 auto..

E

Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Dodge V8
    This was the first half of it..
    Can't find pics of the rest.

E