Array
    Status
    Weaverville, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

New weber

I have a 84 with the 2.6 liter. I installed the weber 32-36 carb, and deleted all the vacumn lines, except the vacumn advance from the carb to the distributer. When I fire up the truck it idles so fast, the idle speed and mixture screw are set all the way down. It idles at about 2500+ R.P.M's. After about 2 minutes it started making this horrible whistle sound and keeps getting louder and louder. Sounds like its comeing from the distributor or around the thermostat. It runs horrible. Is there something that I disconnected (vacumn wise) that needs to be connected. Like I said I disconnected and plugged all the vacumn ports and hoses. Does the EGR need to be connected with vacumn lines? The EGR is located below the carb right? I messed with the timing,and still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    washington st.
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    sounds like u have a vacuum leak ssomewhere. make sure u dont have any leaks around base of carb

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You need to look for a vacuum leek , then you need to check the choke adjustments. If it's a new carb then the manual will help you through the process I will describe. If you don't have a manual you can down load one in the manual section> first gen factory manual> Webber carb.
    #1 only 1 vacuum line is used from the carb to the distributer. Pull the line at the carb, remove the cap and suck on the end of the just lightly. You should see the advance turn. While looking at the advance make sure there is no hole in the advance diaphragm. You will feel it. If you stick your tung over the end of the line while pulling a vacuum with your mouth it should stay where it is. Other wise it's a leek.
    #2 adjust the "high idle screw" it is the one that sits on the cam the choke linkage moves. Not the idle speed screw. It will only hit the aluminum of the carb.
    #3 Then you also need to adjust the choke tension. It is done by by just loosing the 3 screws that hold the choke housing. You need to turn it so there it less tension on the choke. This will allow for the choke to open sooner and come off high idle. as the choke wire inside warms up from the electricity it moves the choke open. Less tension = lean more tension = rich.
    #4 The EGR is not used. You should have also removed the air injection system off the exhaust. It will make a horrid noise otherwise.
    #5 you must use an electric fuel pump near the tank. Try to keep it between 3 -5 PSI
    #6 now start the truck and adjust the "High idle" when cold. It should be about 1200 -1300 RPM and when you rev it just a touch it should step down on the cam 1 click. If that all works out then you ready to go on to the next phase and adjust the mix and idle speed screw. It will only work when the high speed screw is off the cam.

I hope this helps.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I would definately check the adaptor plate install - there should be 3 gaskets - 1 from intake to 1st adaptor plate, 2nd between plates, and third between top of adaptor and the carb. I had Geronimo apart for a long time when I redid him years ago and to not lose the thin adaptor washers on one side of my adaptor, I put them on the studs and put a carb base gasket over them so they would not be lost. When I put the carb back on the motor after it was rebuilt, I forgot about the washers, put on the carb and tried to start the truck up. You guessed it - massive vacuum leak and the truck ran so lean it turned the header cherry red. Even my friend who rebuilt the carb couldn't figure out why it ran so lean. I found the washers when I went to pull the adaptor plates to replace the gaskets.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Oh ya and DO NOT use silicone. The gas will melt it and run into the intake.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    How we learn from our mistakes! Oh the stories I could tell.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Oh ya and DO NOT use silicone. The gas will melt it and run into the intake.
    that "black glue" gasket maker from the machine shop is a no-no also?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    paper gaskets only - ethanol eats that gasket maker stuff for lunch.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    paper gaskets only - ethanol eats that gasket maker stuff for lunch.
    lol that just further goes to show me that da machine shop owner is clueless as a @#$%&#.. where else should I also avoid using this stuff he gave me? thermostat housing, intake mani to head, fuel pump to carb? idk