Array
    Status
    Gilberts,IL
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

question about Cat.

I have an 88 Dodge Power ram 50. I think it has a plugged Catalytic Converter. My question is can I get rid of it. Or is it needed for the emissions poriton of it. I don't have to worry about emissions wehre I am.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    If its an 88 and you have no emissions laws to pass strip that sucker out. You would only need a cat if you have an up stream and down stream O2 Sensor.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You won't have any issues exept a CEL light. If you don't have a rear O2 (which some cat vehicles didnt. My 89 buick reatta didn't) then you won't even get a CEL. Alot of cars in the 80s it was added to pass emissions and they didn't care about monitoring it. Back then the cats would outlast most cars.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The cel won't come on for no cats on an 88 - it was strictly odometer driven. The O2 sensor was just for the stock computer controlled carb - that only needs to remain if you have the stock carb.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Gilberts,IL
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sweet thanks. I got rid of the Cat. However that didn't solve my problem. If you Wide open Throttle it, it bogs and spits and sputters. If you baby it, it seems ok. I have replaced plugs,wires,cap and rotor, new fuel filter, fresh hi octane gas with Lucas fuel injector cleaner. Purge valve checks out ok. Its only got 39K miles on it. Is the accelerator pump adjustable? I took it apart and no tears. What else am i missing?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    weak fuel pump - put a gauge on the inlet to the carb and see what pressure you are getting. also check the float level in the carb.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Gilberts,IL
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    What should the pressure be for a stock carb and stock fuel pump. Also it appears there is no easy way to check to float except the 25 steps in the chilton manual for total dissassembly. Right? It's not like the old ones where I can pull the top off and check.?

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by choppeddodge View Post
    Sweet thanks. I got rid of the Cat. However that didn't solve my problem. If you Wide open Throttle it, it bogs and spits and sputters. If you baby it, it seems ok. I have replaced plugs,wires,cap and rotor, new fuel filter, fresh hi octane gas with Lucas fuel injector cleaner. Purge valve checks out ok. Its only got 39K miles on it. Is the accelerator pump adjustable? I took it apart and no tears. What else am i missing?
    no CEL after u pulled off da Cat, right? cuz I dont think my 88 has it either.. it does have one O2 sensor just after the header tho.