Array
    Status
    nh
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

1991 mighty max 2.4 ignition problem

I have a 1991 mighty max 2.4. When i turn the key the motor will not turn over. I get all the lights on the gauge cluster but no turn over on the engine. Any one have any ideas of what could cause this?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Too many possibilities to list. can you turn the motor over with a wrench on the Crank snout?

Array
    Status
    nh
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Too many possibilities to list. can you turn the motor over with a wrench on the Crank snout?
    Yes
    If i put direct power to the starter it will turn over

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    MPI Relay is my first guess, do you hear a Click from from the passenger side on the kick panel?

here's the wiring diagrams.

http://mmeierle.com/Wiring%20Diagrams.htm

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I have the same problem.

symptom 1 is turn key on and I get one click

symptom 2 is turn key on and nothing happens

sometimes it just fires right up.

there is not multiple clicks in a row.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    is this my issue as well?? mpi relay and where is it located exactly? appreciate the help. could it be just the starter relay?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Not sure if this is your issue, but after replacing a starter years ago with one that did not have the extra wire dangling from it, my truck would sort of act like yours. Turn key, CLICK. Try again and it would turn over, but sometimes taking more cranking time to start then usual. After warmed up it would start right up fine. This went on for quite a few years until a mechanic mentioned that my truck was not getting a full 12v during the startup. After which, once it's running will lower to about 10 or so volts. I did some research on starters for our trucks and I noticed an extra wire that connects to the starter solenoid on the side that the cable comes out of the starter and other end of wire goes to the coil. Think it's shown as an inhibitor wire and usually used on automatic trucks to make sure shifter is in Park. I didn't remember ever seeing one on my truck before, but during a rebuild I unwrapped some taped up harness wire and found this extra wire and connector wrapped in and it was close to this area of the engine. I connected this hidden taped up wire to the starter solenoid and the truck started immediately on the first hit of the key. No more clicking on startups and repeated tries to get it started. It starts instantly now.
    This may or may not pertain to your issue, but usually if your just getting a click on starting and battery is good and stuff. Make sure your getting full 12volts to starter when you turn key to start it up.