Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Steering Gear Grease Nipple?

I did a rebuild of the easy side on the steering gear. Didn't have a wrench big enough to get the nut off the other side to get all the little ball bearing widgetry out.

Anyway in putting it back together I was going to load it up with some grease via the grease nipple, but the fitting on my gun does not seem to want to get all the way on the nipple no matter how much I try. I thought that grease nipples were pretty universal, but this one seems to be special. Does anyone know if this is the case for Japanese ones? I'd just swap it out for a standard sized one as I did on the ball joints but this grease nipple is different from most as it has a longer shaft and then two holes at the end instead of just a standard thread with a hole at the end.

Would there be any detriment to just changing this out to a regular one, if anyone knows. As I can definitely just do that so I can use my regular grease gun on it.

Just didn't want to screw the gear up if this needed something special going on there.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If I remember correctly. It's not a grease nipple at all. They only look like one. All the grease is installed at the time you build it. And you would remove that to let grease out so it does not blow out the seal.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that is not a grease nipple, it is a bleeder screw for the steering box. Do not push grease through that fitting!
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ha! Well that explains that =D
    I don't wager I got any grease through it anyway, but I'll pull it off and make sure it's cleaned up anyway. Thanks for the quick replies.