Thread: ram 50 burning oil BAD

Array
    Status
    golconda,il
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50

ram 50 burning oil BAD

hello, i have a 1987 power ram with a 2.6 that has suddenly started smoking and burning oil. it uses a qt in 5 miles. i ran a compression test it was between 135 and 145. was wondering about the jet valves in the head? any suggestions? thanx

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    A valve seal broke from age. It would not hurt to get rid of the air valve while in there. They can do this also.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    golconda,il
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    A valve seal broke from age. It would not hurt to get rid of the air valve while in there. They can do this also.
    thanks for the info does the head hav to come off for this

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The best way is to remove the head, but you don't need to. What is needed is a good air compressor. You would bring the cylinder to TDC then use the compressor to pump air into the cylinder to keep the valve from dropping in when you use a spring compressor and remove the keepers. You would need to make sure the parking brake is on and you set it in gear to keep the engine from turning over. But I would do the air jet valve elimination kit first. It sounds like it's going to be that or an intake valve. Does it smoke more after you slow down to a stop then go again. Or is it bad all the time. You say it's using a qt in 5 miles. That seems like a lot. Or is that what is on the ground?
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    golconda,il
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    The best way is to remove the head, but you don't need to. What is needed is a good air compressor. You would bring the cylinder to TDC then use the compressor to pump air into the cylinder to keep the valve from dropping in when you use a spring compressor and remove the keepers. You would need to make sure the parking brake is on and you set it in gear to keep the engine from turning over. But I would do the air jet valve elimination kit first. It sounds like it's going to be that or an intake valve. Does it smoke more after you slow down to a stop then go again. Or is it bad all the time. You say it's using a qt in 5 miles. That seems like a lot. Or is that what is on the ground?
    smokes bad at idle and constant speed or slow down. not much smoke on acceleration. no oil on ground. whats puzzle me is it all started wen i put a new fuel pump on. before that it used a qt between 1500 and 2000 miles. it still runs fine and good oil pressure

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    My vote is for the valve seals and air valve. Other wise it could be broken oil control rings. Pull the valve cover and inspect for hard rubber parts laying in there and look at the seals to see if there still in tact.
    I don't see how the fuel pump could do this.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Does the 2.6 run a PCV? The better fuel PSI could have an effect on combustion which changes crank case pressure. I know the 2.6s have alot of head problems so the best way to know is to yank the head. Bottom ends on them are usually pretty tough.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The 2.6 does have a pcv valve. I agree with. Camoit on the valve seals. If you were using oil before and now your using more it sounds like whatever was starting to fail may now have failed completely. I would pull the exhaust manifold also and look to see that none of the valve guides have dropped.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    He would be able to see that once he pulls the valve cover. If there is a valve problem it would stick up or be lower then the rest.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.