Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type

Balance shaft question

I have a question concerning the balance shaft. If I've been reading correctly the balance shaft to the left of the timing belt and the oil pump work together to reduce vibration in the motor. I'm just guessing, but I assume there is another balance shaft in the motor that's a part of the oil pump??? Anyway, I seem to remember reading somewhere that when setting the oil pump timing mark you can be 360 degrees off. I think I remember someone saying that when you turn the oil pump gear by hand it will either fall into place around where the timing mark sets, or it will feel like it wants to drop to the bottom position which would put the timing mark 180 degrees off. So I replaced the oil pump seal the other day and seeing as how the seal was new and snug I couldn't feel the difference in the position of the oil pump when turning it by hand, whether it was falling into place or 180 degrees off. I'm gonna get back in there tomorrow and hopefully be able to turn it and feel if it's falling into place since it's maybe had time to work the seal in. I guess with this thread I'm just trying to confirm that the oil pump gear can in fact be off 360 degrees, and if so am I remembering correctly that it has to fall into place around the timing mark? Thanks for any replies.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Which motor? There should be a bolt on the hump on the block(driver side) where the balance shaft is that you need to remove. Thrn you use a screwdriver or similar tool and insert it into the hole. When the oil pump shaft is in the correct position the screwdriver will fall into the hole more then it will if you are 180* out.

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

Engine

Sorry. it's the 2.4 motor. Will I have to drain the oil before removing the bolt or just let it settle into the pan? Is it possible to remove the bolt and tell if it's in the right position? That way I wouldn't have to remove the timing belt again. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    You don't have to drain the oil.

See page 11C-34 in the below document. there's also a lot of other info you might want to know in there :-)

http://mmeierle.com/images/Max/1G%20...2%20ENGINE.pdf

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

Engine

Thanks for the link, I saved it to my PC AWESOME. Set the oil pump in the right position, everything is good to go. Thanks again!