Thread: Oil Leak

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type
    Update... The oil leak has been operator error the whole time. The first time the oil pump seal leaked it was legit, probably just worn. When I removed it and put the new one on I pressed it in flush with the moter just like the crank seal is. Didin't realize until I put the new one on yesterday that it sets about a qurter of an inch past being flush. When I was leaving it flush the inside of the seal was probably not even touching the shaft that it's suppose to sit around. Put it on yesterday, didn't use the repair sleeve once I figured out what I was doing wrong, used a socket and hammer to tap ( POUND ) it in. It was an extremely tight fit. I know the seal is now at least touching the shaft it fits over, and I'm pretty sure it's actually seated around it but couldn't confirm with my light and mirror. I will check it in a few days to see if the leak is cured. The new lifters made the motor so quiet that I didn't realize it was running. Thanks for everyones help!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If the new seal is made for the repair sleeve then you will need to use it. Other wise it will fail due to the difference of the lip being a larger diameter hole. It would be a difference of about 0.010" that is a lot in engine tolerances.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type
    I actually damaged the seal that came with the sleeve so I had to buy another to put on. Thanks for bringing that point up though. The new seal fit tight on the outside and inside diameter. Changed it Monday morning, checked today and no oil leak! Thanks for all the help guys...!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12