Thread: What is the PCV system supposed to look like?

Array
    Status
    Norcal
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Cool What is the PCV system supposed to look like?

It looks really disgusting under the hood. Half of the problem is oil gaskets that have gone (oilpan, others), but the big problem is that the PCV system consists of nothing more than a hose from the valvecover to the intake hose before the turbo. Is there supposed to be more?

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I don't believe there is. It doesn't use a PCV system. The mitsu engines use a PCV in the valve cover if it has one.

Array
    Status
    Norcal
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Well, I don't like that. My BMW has somekinda round membrane on the back of the intake manifold, and a cone thingy deep inside the block. An Isuzu I worked on recently had some doohickey attached to the valvecover, then a hose from that to the intake. I'd like to install one on this truck, but I'm having a hard time finding an aftermarket piece. What's the proper name for what I want? Oil condenser?

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    PCV valve. but the breather allows better flow than the restrictive valve. That's why mitsu didn't put one in the truck. Diesel crank case pressure is most likely higher than gas. If you take the higher flow and put a restrictive PCV valve you can blow out all the seals in the block. PCV is an emissions component, it prevents the oil soaked air from inside the block from getting into the atmosphere by closing at lower PSI (idle) then venting it into the engine. Most newer cars are using PCV and breather.