Array
    Status
    Geiger, AL
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Unhappy how to change a clutch?

My clutch is goin out and i was wondering if somebody could give me a ''walkthrough'' of how to change it?

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Step1: Make sure you have parts in hand before doing anything and theyre right. I recommend replacing the rear crank seal while you're there.
    Step2: Support the vehicle on stands, drain trans fluid and remove driveshaft. From there you can remove the clutch cable at the fork (It sticks out of the driver side of the bellhousing where clutch is) then support the trans with a jack and remove the rear mount. Remove the shifter assembly. I believe you can remove the plate from around it and leave the shift lever in the truck and separate it from the trans. Some 5-speed owners could help you there. I haven't pulled a 5-speed in these trucks yet. I've pulled an a/t which is harder than a 5-speed. Once that's out you can remove all the 14mm bellhousing bolts (should be 6) then slide it back and out of the way. The clutch is pretty simple to do just make sure you have an alignment tool to put the new one in. The old flywheel should be machined or replaced also or you'll get alot of chatter.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    We also have a manual you can down load. Look in the manual section > over 216 manuals. look for the Montero and mighty max truck manual near the top of the list. It will cover your truck. It should give you a good idea of what your up against. It's not that hard. Just keep the trans in neutral when you do the swap.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    On the shift lever, you remove it from the tranny and lift it out of the hole in the floor, otherwise it will fall on the ground. You also have to pull the starter and the cover plate on the bottom of the bell housing, disconnect the clutch cable and reverse light switch, and drop the driveshaft. It would also be a good time to check the u joints and the center carrier bearing if present and replace if bad. Be sure to replace the pilot shaft bearing as well as the throwout bearing to prevent wobble. Check the tranny input shaft for play and replace the input shaft bearing if there is; do replace the input shaft seal to prevent leaking onto the new clutch.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980