Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Power Brute limited slip diff.

I have seen this advertised at a number of sites for our trucks, found one place with a price of $370.47 for the unit. Anyone heard (or read)anything of the performance and durability? What other parts will I need to have on hand (from Mitsu.) I would have it done professionally, we have a good trans / diff. guy in town.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Update to my earlier post. I contacted Precision Gear and spoke with their tech person. I asked a number of questions about the Power brute limited slip that is made for our vehicles (both 4 cyl. and 6 cyl.). Here is the story, the new company purchased Precision Gear's assets a while back. Within the inventory was the Power Brute line. They are no longer manufactured. There will be no rebuilding kits as of this time. There are 37 of the 4 cyl. units left in stock. When they are gone, at this time there is no plan to make more. I inquired about a group buy, and the sales manager is supposed to call me back next week. I have seen the price as low as $299.00 for a unit on the net and let him know this. If the price was right, I might be interested in purchasing two (one for parts if the need arises). He did say they want to close out the line, but could not comment on price. Let me know any interest this week and I'll relay to the sales manager when / if he calls me. I also asked about the needed installation parts which would be source from Mitsu. (bearings,shims,etc...). Lastly, there have been a number of posts on other sites about who manufactured this Power Brute unit. Others have said Mitsubishi,Aisin or Fuji Heavy Industries. He indicated as far as he knew Precision Gear did, although as I said this company bought them out. Hope this sheds some light on this component. Please post if you have an interest in a group buy. I will post this on the other Mitsu 4X4 sites as i get time.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I think I paid $85 off of ebay for mine brand new - I would have to look. I have not compared it to the lsd I have from a 1st gen montero yet - will take pics of both if I do.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    WOW! Where did you get it from? I'd buy 3 at that price!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I'd have to look at my purchases on ebay for the seller - he sold 3 of them real cheap - one other person on here got the last one he sold.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    hey, need one bad for my street truck.
    please keep this info up to date.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Received follow-up call from sales manager. We are trading messages at this point but hope to make contact tomorrow.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Interested...

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here's the info guys. I spoke with the sales rep. for the company that bought out Precision Gear. He advised the following with regard to the limited slip for our trucks. It is an Auburn limited slip unit. He sent me a pic of the box (which says Auburn on it) and our application number on it. The price for a group buy is $299 + shipping. They have approx. 37 available, all new in the box. As I recall, the Auburn was a pretty good unit (although someone with experience other than that feel free to chime in). Seems like a pretty fair deal, might be able to shave the price a bit as the amount of orders go up. There are at their warehouse in GA. each in a sealed box & ready to ship out. Next week, I will identify the parts necessary for the install from my friendly Mitsu dealer. He is very aggressive with regard to pricing, so I will quote that as well if anyone is interested. I am going to post this at a couple of other sites as well.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Count me in.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I guess the installation of this is going to be way more complicated than remove and replace and there's a whole bunch of other stuff that's needed? What will it do to the driveline ratios if anything?

I assume this is the LOM83? Looks like these go for around $400 elsewhere. Nice find, yamahlr.

http://www.precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    hey, these trucks have a drop out differential.
    they have adjustable backlash for the carrier bearings.
    the LSD replaces the ring gear carrier. take the old one out.
    switch the bearings over to the LSD. put it back in and adjust.
    there is no change in the ratio. that would be the ring and pinion gear.
    if you don't have enough power to spin the tires, you need a V8!!

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Nice walk through on the R&R for the lsd. What parts should I have the Mitsu parts guy look up? I'm thinking bearings, shim kit gasket set, anything else? I don't want to go further with this unless we can source the parts necessary to set up the ring & pinion again. Nothing more frustrating than getting bogged down in trying to find the necessary parts after the lsd comes.

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    oops, I should add, I have 6 of these trucks. there are no parts of them untouched.
    there is a carrier sitting in the shop ready to be reassembled with an LSD.
    I've just been waiting for the right time and enough money to finish it.
    can't hardly wait to try out a 2 tire burnout....

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    hey, if the original bearings don't make noise, they don't need replaced.
    there aren't any shims in that part of the differential. the only gasket is where the
    complete carrier bolts into the rear axle housing.
    if you have a service manual, look up differential carrier.
    a picture is worth a thousand words.

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    hey, no new news on this?
    who do we contact to get one now?

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    We will need to get a group buy with a start and end date together. They WILL NOT take individual orders. Let me know how many are in on the GB and I will get the specifics on shipping (it is my hope that we can get them to do a flat rate shipping charge payment). I will contact the rep to get payment instructions (made out I'm sure to the company but in one large order as opposed to orders coming in piecemeal which they will not do). If we can't get agreement on the terms he set, we would need to buy from a retailer (at a higher price I suspect). I've had an unexpected medical issue take place so I haven't got to the dealer to get an idea what other parts are necessary for an install, and availability. I have seen that a variety of seals and bearings are available from ROCKAUTO.Com. I hope to get to the dealer by the middle of next week. They also have a tech guy who will provide a rough list, but he indicated to me that Precision Gear did not leave any instructions or a parts sheet to go off of. They do have install kits for some other makes but not the Mitsu.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is anyone interested in me pursuing this further?

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    hey, yes, the sooner the better.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm interested. I'd like to know what all the required parts are and whether or not they are available.Being in Canada, parts from Mitsu dealers won't happen. I called one to get an availability for a part ( I even had the part number) a while back and was told their catalogue doesn't go that far back. I don't think Mitsubishi has been in Canada as long as the US. If everything else required can be found at Rock Auto then no problem. As far as the bearings and seals go, if you have to pull the axles you might as well replace them while your in there.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That is what my parts guru said. He runs the Mitsu store here where I live. He indicated that the parts he recommended to replace was the bearings and seals. I don't know how shipping is to Canada, but if you would like I will pass on his number. He really is into cars, has his own dirt circle track race car i help him with sometimes @ the Speedway. He is super helpful w/ vintage parts. I have both a mint 87 Conquest TSI and a 91 Stealth R/T TT and the parts he has found amazes me for vehicles that old. He has a super work ethic which shows thru everytime I go there.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks, that may be the way to go if the parts are only available from Mitsubishi. Perhaps your friend could give you a list of part numbers for each application. I don't know if the 2wd and 4wd bearings and seals are the same or not. Or whether they change from 1st gen to 2nd. I had my 5 speed trans rebuilt and the tranny shop had no problem getting the bearings and seals. If that's all that's required I don't foresee any problems. I've ordered small parts from Bruce Titus Automotive in Washington before and shipping was around $20 for a small light package, USPS. The shipping cost for the differential will be more I imagine.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I will hope to have all interested counted this week and call for shipping and any other particulars at the end of the week. I will note you live in Canada when I speak to them. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I think I'll take one so long as it's a direct fit into my RWD 3.9 housing and is 100% compatible with a KM135. How much are the bearings and seals going to run?

Might be worth it to ask on HotRodCoffeeShop.com and Project Zero G forums, too.

EDIT: Just got an opportunity on a new place so I will probably NOT be purchasing one of these unless it's still available a few months from now.
    Last edited by noahwins; 04-09-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So to sum up, is anyone interested in purchasing one of these units?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast