So I'm curious what the major differences are in the first gens manual vs power steering. I'm starting to notice i only see p/s on 4wd models because the steering linkage is relocated to the front of the crossmember with a longer gearbox to make room for the diff. Whereas the manual steering is on the back of the crossmember with a short stubby steering box.

Here's my dilemma. I've contemplated making my diesel truck 2wd to see what kind of MPG I can get from it. The 2wd and 4wd have different front suspensions. Keeping in mind my previous statement means the steering linkage hooks to different points on the knuckle on both models (power on front of the knuckle with manual on the rear of the knuckle) This would mean that since all 4wd had p/s due to the rear diff making manual steering not possible by design) you can't have 2wd with power steering unless you modify a 4wd suspension setup to accept the power steering type of linkages. Or unless mitsu made power steering on 2wd models you'd need those knuckles. Also the rear mounted (manual steering) boxes would interfere with the starter and clutch slave cylinder on the diesel making the stubby gear box with manual steering not possible.

I'm starting to think keeping 4wd and just swapping bodies will be easier than trying to make the diesel truck 2wd since I'd also need tougher front springs on the 2wd to accept the extra weight.