Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

12v glow plugs for 4D55

So i've been doing research for the 4d55 swap and it seems to be the controller for the glow plugs go bad on such old trucks and there's no replacement. This controller works with the 6v plugs. I'm thinking it would be easier to run some 12v plugs to a relay and a toggle switch for a few seconds when the truck is started. Does anyone have a source for the 12v plugs for the truck?

Array
    Status
    Québec, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    i bought some ngk y-115t1 from rockauto for 10$ each. They are 12v and fits the 4d56 for sure. i didn't installed them yet, so i cannot tell you they fits 100% sure. But i checked the tread and it was the same. I crossed referenced it but i can't remember all the details. in rockauto you have to search by part number and not by vehicle.

Array
    Status
    Québec, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    another thing. you can open your controller. if it is like the old ranger i'm workin'on it is located below the dash under the side panel passenger side. it is a metal box. open it up and clean it. i had a spider livin in there! little white ugly thing! clean the resistor at the bottom with some sand paper and alcool if there is rust. an old guy told me the trick and it worked for me,.

Array
    Status
    Norcal
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I have an '83, but I believe the glowplugs are the same for later engines as well. They are 12V plugs. You can feed them 12V like any other plug and they'll run just fine. The reason we call them "6V" plugs is that the glowplug controller only uses 12V when it's really cold out; most of the time, it gives them half-voltage. Half-voltage is accomplished with a resistor pack and a separate (but apparently identical) relay. I bypassed my glowplug controller and resistor, and run a manual switch to the 12V relay. It's been like that for over a year, on the same plugs, and works great.

You can clean and fix your controller, too. Spiders living inside, rats eating the wiring, or just plain loose/corroded contacts (Mitsubishi seems to be more prone to this than other brands). However, the system also relies on a two-prong coolant temperature sensor, which... I don't remember exactly what the case was, it was either impossible to find or just too expensive. In my case, the sensor went out, my parts engines didn't work any better, so I converted to manual glow control, aftermarket mechanical temperature gauge, and haven't looked back.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The guy I bought the truck from put new glow plugs in it. Good for me I can see the box on the kick panel and it looks to be in good shape. I'll take it apart before doing my swap into the other truck.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thats pretty sad that a $20-$30 sensor would cause you too hack up your electrical. Look if you're in a very cold area you will want the controller working. On a conversion thats up to you. But i would never hack up an original 1st gen wiring harness to mickey mouse it. The controllers are available new but must come direct from Japan. All the parts are available just not through your local dealer. And BTW an 83 truck with the 6 volt plugs is easily upgraded to the super quick glow by swapping in an 84 and up Federal model controller (Plug n play), as well as the 12v plugs. The plugs mitsu sells for the 84-85 trucks are superior to the NGK's on rockauto as they have a oval shaped ceramic tip that will never turn into a ballon like the NGK's. If you use the manual system and you hold button for more than 8 seconds you will turn the tips into a ballon and when removing the plugs the tip will break off and fall into the cylinder. Than you will f$%k up the head and the piston if you drive it like that as the broken pieces will be smashed into the head by the piston. (Not fun). Hit me up if you need more help or info.........Mikewarme@yahoo.com

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    try this recian. http://www.bmaparts.com/contact.php?...D=&trackingID=

I used them to get parts for all my cars, including my truck. I'd suggest u call them, its the best way to get service fast. GL

Array
    Status
    Versialles, MO
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type
    The Glow plugs for one of the Mazda b2200s with the diesel will work fine, I am running them in my truck with a push button and relay setup and they are only about $10 each at least here

Array
    Status
    Norcal
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
    Thats pretty sad that a $20-$30 sensor would cause you too hack up your electrical. Look if you're in a very cold area you will want the controller working. On a conversion thats up to you. But i would never hack up an original 1st gen wiring harness to mickey mouse it. The controllers are available new but must come direct from Japan. All the parts are available just not through your local dealer. And BTW an 83 truck with the 6 volt plugs is easily upgraded to the super quick glow
    Mine takes less than 2 seconds at 0C (32F), fueled on B100. That's far faster than any other indirect-injection I've ever started. How much faster is the later system, and what's different about it?

The plugs mitsu sells for the 84-85 trucks are superior to the NGK's on rockauto as they have a oval shaped ceramic tip that will never turn into a ballon like the NGK's. If you use the manual system and you hold button for more than 8 seconds you will turn the tips into a ballon and when removing the plugs the tip will break off and fall into the cylinder. Than you will f$%k up the head and the piston if you drive it like that as the broken pieces will be smashed into the head by the piston. (Not fun). Hit me up if you need more help or info.........Mikewarme@yahoo.com
    This is good to know. My truck is a communal vehicle that's used by some downright clueless people. I'm sure one cold morning or other, they'll leave the plugs glowing too long and do just what you describe. My controller and everything worked fine, just couldn't get that temperature sensor. My local Mitsubishi and Dodge dealers were useless. Who do I talk to? I don't know Japanese to call Mitsubishi directly