Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

Scarlett D50

Hello everyone! I'm hoping to check some more items off my "to do" list in the next few weeks, and post the new updates here, but in the meantime I'll start with a few pictures and history of my truck so far.

I've been working on my truck since I bought it in 2005, just doing what I can every summer and keeping it in storage during the cold months. It was my daily driver for only three months, atfter which I solidified my plans and got to work.

To date I have made mostly cosmetic changes, changing things slightly to clean up the body (filling, shaving). Mechanically the truck is near stock, only sporting new suspention and brake parts, and updated regular maintenance parts. Inside, there is an Eclipse head unit and a few PG speakers and amp; real simple but with good sound. There's also some new bucket seats, and I changed the colour from blue-grey to black.

Thats more or less it so far. Nothing outrageous, just my best attempt at making the perfect mini truck for me. Thanks for looking and of course, your comments and insight are always welcome!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Also, here's the link to my CarDomain page with more odd pictures and info, and my Photobucket page with all of the above pics and the rest of what I feel are the best pictures I have of Scarlett.

-RHP

http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/...20D50%20Sport/

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/205580...dodge-mini-ram

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    One word.. WOW!! Looks absolutely stunning! Amazing how much work you put into it and how far it's come. By far one of the cleanest d50's I've seen!

What's the story on your avatar, notice you have the same symbol on your center caps. Kind of reminds me of one of the symbols from Lost lol

And any info on your buckets and how you modified them to fit? Plan on replacing my bench sometime in the future, any tips or tricks you have would be great.
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    This guy is on the front page. Nice truck.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    That truck looks right. Nice job. Goin V8 huh? keep up the good work!

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    this truck is sick!!!!

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by blindeyed View Post
    One word.. WOW!! Looks absolutely stunning! Amazing how much work you put into it and how far it's come. By far one of the cleanest d50's I've seen!

What's the story on your avatar, notice you have the same symbol on your center caps. Kind of reminds me of one of the symbols from Lost lol

And any info on your buckets and how you modified them to fit? Plan on replacing my bench sometime in the future, any tips or tricks you have would be great.
    Thanks for your comments! I've been making the truck exactly how I want it, so its always a bonus to hear that others like it too!

My avatar and the symbol on my center caps is actually the symbol of the Galactic Empire, because I love Star Wars like I love our trucks! As for the seats, my dad and I actually just fabricated two 'platforms' for each seat and mounted the factory 'feet' (I guess they're called?) underneath. The result is that I was able to use the factory holes and mounts, with the new seats stacked on top in a way, so I could keep the sliding mechanism of the new seats, which the factory ones didn't have. I may have some pictures of the process, and if I do I'll put them up as soon as I can!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by crvtec90 View Post
    That truck looks right. Nice job. Goin V8 huh? keep up the good work!
    Hey thanks! Yeah, you know I'm not at all unhappy with the 4G54, because it still feels really strong and runs great. No leaks or burning, and after a winter in storage, it always fires up and settles right down to idle in just a few minutes. But, I think it would be really cool to be able to stand on the throttle and blast off with this little machine, and a V8 might very well be a good way to make that happen! My girlfriend's cousin has a '05 5.7L Hemi (wrapped in plastic and sitting on a pallet!) that he bought as a salvage when his truck was written off. He says it's mine for a few hundred since I told him what I would do with it! I've never done anything like this before though, so I'm not committing to anything yet, but if I can come up with a solid plan of attack, I'll do the best I can to make it happen!

-RHP
    Last edited by parrell456; 04-27-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Dropping the V8 in a first gen is a piece of cake. It took us three evenings of part time work, about 18 hours, to put the 360 in my truck. That's nothing to completely done and running. Go for it! One thing is that the stock Mitsu rear, while stout, simply does not have a high enough (low numerical) gear ration for the swap, which is why I'm narrowing a Mopar 8.75 to put in mine. A Mopar 8.25 would be plenty strong enough too, but probably harder to find a used LSD (posi to you GM indoctrinated guys out there) for one. Nevertheless, Randy's ring and Pinion can set you up with new axles, LSD, bearings, everything, for under a grand.
    On mine, with the 2:76 gears and 27 inch tall tires, it'll turn 2650 RPM's at 80MPH, which is better than my wife's Scion xB at the same speed. The V8 has SO much torque, you just don't need a taller gear in it. The new hemi would be even better than my old LA motor (for a while).

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Wow thanks for posting this, my excitement for this challenge is now through the roof! Thanks for your support and advice, this is why I love MightyRam50!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    OK, your back end on the truck.... HOW DID YOU DO IT? i wanted to do something like that on mine too, just havent gotten that far into yet. Ahh... man looking at your truck makes me miss my first D50, I love those body styles.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    nice ride glad to see you are here. Your truck is awesome man. I too am putting a v-8 in my truck ...95 mighty max.

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Ram50Man View Post
    OK, your back end on the truck.... HOW DID YOU DO IT? i wanted to do something like that on mine too, just havent gotten that far into yet. Ahh... man looking at your truck makes me miss my first D50, I love those body styles.
    Well I have the tail gate handle shaved, tail light skins over the factory light holes, and a full roll pan (if you remember on your first gen, there's a gap in the roll pan where the license plate goes). But I think the best part (and the most eyecatching part) is that the tailgate is welded shut, and all the gaps in the body are filled! Good luck with your project!

-RHP
    Last edited by parrell456; 04-28-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    that is a lot of metal/body work right there....

just wondering how you went about shaving the bodylines and welding the tailgate shut. Some people just use the tailgate as a whole...some seperate the outter part...and the bodyline i have seen done different ways also.

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by l.k. View Post
    that is a lot of metal/body work right there....

just wondering how you went about shaving the bodylines and welding the tailgate shut. Some people just use the tailgate as a whole...some seperate the outter part...and the bodyline i have seen done different ways also.
    Well to clarify I am not a body man and consequently I'm not responsible for the body work on this truck, but I am pretty good at caring for said body if that counts for anything! Here's what I do know: I bought some parts from Grant Kustoms http://grantkustoms.com/ (maintly the tail light skins and the roll pan with LEDs in it) and talked to the guys doing the paint for me about what I wanted. They welded the tailgate shut and did the shaving they needed, then ran a bead of metal (does this make sense?) along the remaining gaps before smoothing it all out for paint. Afterwards they colour matched a spray-in bedliner to save me some money rather than try and make it as nice as the outside... I don't know if that's why the tailgate was left intact, but I assume it is... I hope this is a good enough answer, for you. Sorry I wasn't the skills behind the results!

-RHP
    Last edited by parrell456; 07-15-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    that was plenty good of an answer...as long as you keep it clean that is good enough...

i am thinking of shaving the bodylines on my95 mighty max thats why i was wondering...

thanks..

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I like my tailgate. I use it a lot. Loading, unloading, it's a chair, sometimes a table. Lol.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    i like my tailgate. I use it a lot. Loading, unloading, it's a chair, sometimes a table. Lol.
    mine will be pointless once i raise the bed floor...it will only be about the height of the wheels wells. Although i am thinking of having an enclosed area in the back that you access through the tailgate....who knows...

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Can always make a trunk style thing. Open the tailgate and there is a box to store stuff not accessible from the bed. Keeps the chair there.

Array
    Status
    Butlerville, IN
    Hey bro truck looks sick! did you have to replace your cab corners? If so where did you get them?

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Can always make a trunk style thing. Open the tailgate and there is a box to store stuff not accessible from the bed. Keeps the chair there.

that is about what i was thinking...what would i do without you guys....

ANY MORE PICS OF THIS THING.....

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by tgree812 View Post
    Hey bro truck looks sick! did you have to replace your cab corners? If so where did you get them?
    Thanks man! I didn't have to touch the cab or box, actually. The doors and rockers were replaced, but that's about it!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    pics of engine bay....

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by l.k. View Post
    pics of engine bay....
    Here's one. Not the best quality, but I'll be taking some more soon!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Here's a few more random pictures.

-RHP

Last edited by parrell456; 07-15-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast