Thread: Scarlett D50

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Yes I got your PM, but I'm not 100% on what to do, as in what to open or what to install... I will use it once I figure out how to get it though, so thank you for linking me to it!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My vote is with Fordubishi, the more Euro look appeals to me.

He linked me that same stuff and I was too dumb to figure it out, too. lol

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I took these pictures last year when I (by chance) came across another local, running, first-gen D50. Wasn't sure if or how many I posted before, so here's all five. It was the second time ever that I saw another first-gen while driving mine...

-RHP

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    WTH was I doing in BC???? That's funny the white one looks like mine did when I got it with a blown engine. even has the hub caps and black grill

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Did you put in a later model grill? I think the grill you have started in 82 or 83 and went to the end of production. The 79 - 81 had the single light or so I thought.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    yep single headlight was 79-83, mine is an 81 so looked identical to the white one beside Scarlett.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Actually the dodge d-50s ran a single headlight from 79 - 82, and ran dual headlights from 83 - 86. The MMM ran the single headlights from 83 - 86 to distinguish them from the Dodges. The white one parked next to you was most likely an 82 as that year grille was black with some models having a chrome bumper.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Actually the dodge d-50s ran a single headlight from 79 - 82, and ran dual headlights from 83 - 86. The MMM ran the single headlights from 83 - 86 to distinguish them from the Dodges. The white one parked next to you was most likely an 82 as that year grille was black with some models having a chrome bumper.
    I thought it was something like that. This is the kind of info someone needs to put in the Wiki history section. If I get time I will copy it in there. But I'm not as hip on the information as Pennyman1. We need to squeeze all the information from his head and put it in there. There are a couple of other second gen guys on the board that we need to do the same thing with.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey, no squeezing my head... its already been flattened at work as it is. I just haven't had time to update things in the wiki or my club's website but that will be changing shortly, as I am going to make the time to do it.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Might have been different in Canada too my current cab is an 83 (made 4/83) and is a single headlight but the header is set up for duel behind the headlight bucket mount.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    Might have been different in Canada too my current cab is an 83 (made 4/83) and is a single headlight but the header is set up for duel behind the headlight bucket mount.
    OK, so you are saying is that your radiator support has the dimples for duel head lights, and square holes for the adjuster screws, Correct?

If so, then the twin head lights had to have started in 82, OR they were in the process of tooling up and preparing for the conversion to the 4 head light truck. OR Mitsubishi was getting ready to start selling the Mighty Max.
    If you have a first gen go out and look at the location of the adjusting screws. Then tell us if there is a left and right version head light bucket. I have a 79 & 80 and it has a left and right bucket. When looking at the front of the truck, it has 1 adjusting screw on the top and to the inside of each of the buckets. The Mighty Max only has a Right bucket used on both sides. Adjusting screw on the top and right side . The Left side was deleted to save on production cost and tooling. No need to run two different press machines when a universal right side bucket will work if all that is needed is to change the location of the adjusting screws and you are plaining on reworking the grill to a 4 head light system.

There has got to be a correlation between the head light mounts in the radiator support and the introduction of the second gen body style. We just need to nail down the year and month these changes started. Because that would mean the hole front clip from a second gen will fit a first gen.

Now if you look at Project Drgnmits in the second gen section he has single headlights. So??????? Some where, something, does not jive with what we have been thinking on the body styles. I think in the first gen trucks there is an early, mid, & late model truck.
    Of course I might be trying to split hairs here but one thing I have noticed through the years is the first gen changed headlight styles. Then instrument cluster design. After that the second gen body style came out. Any body else seen this?
    Last edited by camoit; 02-27-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    This might help.

HL mount.jpg
    Front headlight mount, 1983 Canadian D-50

HL Backside.jpg
    Rad support from back of headlight. As you see the header was stamped for 4 lights.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    OK that is a single lamp set up, just like mine. But what about Parrell456, That is the one to see. He would have had to modify the plate with the adjusting screw holes.
    I don't think the header plate is stamped for 4 lights. We need more people to put up there years.

Mine.
    1979 and 1980 the same.

02-27-12_1611.jpg

At some point they had to make a change in the bucket headlight receiver to accommodate the new "universal" right hand bucket.
    Last edited by camoit; 02-27-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The first gen trucks first came out in Japan in 1975 as a 76 model with 4 round headlights. There used to be some pics on the site of those early models with 4 round headlights and a lip over the top of the bed with tiedown hooks, like the similar year toyota trucks. When Dodge started importing them, they changed to the single 7x6 headlamp and lost the hooks. Early 79 dodge/ plymonth trucks came with 1.6 l motors, but were replaced mid year with a 2.0 g52b motor. The real change on all 1st gen trucks is the front plate where the headlights mount. I thought of going to the 4 round light setup, but a grille like that would have to come from Austrailia or the Phillipines, and cost a small fortune. Although a set of headlights from a 80's 5 series bimmer would work too...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Here's an album with "new" old pictures of Scarlett at different stages of the build (so far!). Unfortunately I never kept a consistent log of photos and info because of my intermittent time working on her, so this is more or less the closest I have to a behind-the-scenes of what it took to get this far, and it's not much. If anyone has a question about anything or any picture I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. Happy building!

-RHP

The album: http://imgur.com/a/smisV

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    WoW,,, What a POS.... I'll give you $350 cash for it.... hahahahah

To bad you did not have more picts in the album. What a difference.
    Last edited by camoit; 03-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Scarlett has made page 3 of google images. Search for dodge ram d50. There are a couple others of from our board there. This is the benefits of making the front page with a cool picture.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm honestly glad that truck was so rough to begin with. Proves to me there IS a light at the end of the tunnel, and with any kind of luck, it's not just the damn train!

Mine needs at least that much TLC for the body/interior right now.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    The rear view mirrors ever get installed? They are a great find of rare parts.....yet I think the truck would look better without them.
    Either way its looking bada$$! it deserves google image status on page 1

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Wow, Google! Does that mean I've "made it"? hahaha. Yeah my truck was not very pretty when I started, but a little bit at a time and it started shaping up! I'm honoured if anyone likes what I've done and are inspired to create a truck of their own; it's a good feeling! crvtec, I haven't started work on the truck for this year (it's in storage) so those mirrors aren't installed yet. I agree with you though; after having them off for so long, it almost looks like a custom touch in progress, going shaved mirrors with a camera and screen setup. To be honest, I've thought about that being a possibility in the future, and as I see it in my mind, I think it would work and look awesome! But for now I'll get the mirrors on her and enjoy a 100% functional truck, finally.

-RHP

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

So. Modern Mopar Magazine sent out an open invitation on Facebook for reader's rides submissions, so I said what the hell and sent them a pic of my D50 with a brief background. They actually chose Scarlett, even though I thought she might be a little too old for them, and posted her picture on their Facebook page! Definately proud right now and happy to give our trucks more exposure!

-RHP

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    how cool is that. Congrats man... Al least you used, "the picture" Now lets see if it draws more talented guys from around the world. Are they doing an article on the truck in the magazine? If so where do we find it?

Did you know that if you click the facebook icon at the top of the page, the board can update your facebook wall page automatically if you tell it to. A little box will appear next to the submit button below the editor. All you need to do is check it, if you want your comment sent to your FB wall page. Leave it unchecked if you don't want it posted.
    Last edited by camoit; 04-13-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Thanks camoit! I don't think they're going all the way with this and looking to do an article. They may not even publish a pic when the mag goes to print, as it may have just been a thing for their Facebook page. If they do get a hold of me for more info/pics I'll let you guys know and give you all a shout-out, since I couldn't have accomplished anything without the knowledge, support and guidance from our little community!

In other news, Scarlett finally gets mirrors this weekend, and I'll be doing some work on the Belvedere as well. We have the parts we need (in transit) to get it insured and all that, so if anyone's interested there will be more pics of everything coming soon!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Did you know that if you click the facebook icon at the top of the page, the board can update your facebook wall page automatically if you tell it to. A little box will appear next to the submit button below the editor. All you need to do is check it, if you want your comment sent to your FB wall page. Leave it unchecked if you don't want it posted.

Yer a wizzard, camoit! hahaha
    I just linked my accounts. The site/community were always great, but this is something else!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by parrell456 View Post
    Yer a wizzard, camoit! hahaha
    I just linked my accounts. The site/community were always great, but this is something else!

-RHP[/I]
    Just remember to put a check in the box each time you want it to drop a link in your facebook page..
    So who is that sitting in your truck, and whats up with the chem suits while playing Risk? You need to put photos like that in the military section. Thats some funny stuff.
    OH and the guys posing in the back ground with there feet on the cannons,,
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast