Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

rough vibration in gear

So i got my truck running again today. Runs great but has a bad vibration when you put it in drive. I know the balance shafts were timed right. The mounts looked good. Im gona inspect the trans mount next since i lifted it up and down alot. Anyone have other ideas? I marked and realigned the crank to flex plate and flex plate to t/c.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Well today i found a plate under my bench. This plate goes between the flex plate and crank. I think i found my problem.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that spacer is needed to shim the torque convertor to the motor - hope it didn't damage anything.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I yanked the trans and put that plate back in. Made no real difference in the vibration. Everything on the trans works the way it was. I know the timing and balance shafts are right. Aside from changing mounts im kinda stumped now

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    are you sure you got the torque convertor completely mated to the tranny? Ohter than that, it could be an imbalance of the torque convertor or a bent flexplate.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I never took the t/c out of the trans when I did the overhaul. I put a plate over it to hold it back while we moved the truck around. As for the flex plate it's possible but in neutral it's not noticable and when you hit a certain rpm it starts to go away so I dont think that's it. I layed it down flat and didn't move it during the overhaul. It was bolted to the engine during transit so I won't rule it out. I'm going to have to drain the trans fluid and change the filter before I go too much further. The t/c could be acting up due to ariation of the fluid since it's overfull (i bought it that way) I do notice that the vibration is worse when stopped holding the brake. And if I let off the brake the worst of it goes away. Also the 2-3 slippage could be a problem with the trans filter so I want to see if that helps any.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I ended up getting all the fluids taken care of and the kickdown linkage adjusted right now the trans shifts beutifully but still has that vibration only in drive with foot on the brake. Drives me nuts sometimes. It goes away as soon as you let of the brake.