Thread: Gauge cluster dimensions

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA

Gauge cluster dimensions

Hey does anyone have a gauge cluster for their truck, that is not installed that can measure the dimensions of the face of it. (the actual face, under the clear front.) I am working on getting basically a sticker made to layover the top of the current face, just to change the color scheme, but I need the dimensions (just the length and heigth). I would really appreciate it. Once I get a sticker made I will test it out on my truck and if it looks good, and is still readable at night with the factory dash lighting I will let you guys know. Depending on the cost maybe I can throw a few to the site, as a contest prize or something.
    Last edited by Ram50Man; 04-26-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Just measured a spare I had and the actual gauge face measures about 13 5/8" x 4 3/4".

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Just measured a spare I had and the actual gauge face measures about 13 5/8" x 4 3/4".
    Sweet, Thanks! Is our Speedometer Backlit or is it just illuminated from bulbs down towards the bottom? I was thinking about this today when I was taking a smoke break at work in my truck, if our speedometer is backlit, then my idea wont work, cause the bulbs I am sure are not bright enough to shine through the gauge and the sticker overlay. But anyways... here is a few ideas I was kicking around....

Simple, factory style:

Custom style:

Custom Border Overlay only:

Obviously the outer border area, can be changed to any color, im fond of the white, but my interior is Tan and Black, so I may change it to a darker color, im just so tired of the all black gauge cluster. Maybe a charcoal color or something.
    Last edited by Ram50Man; 04-26-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Thats good stuff man. How did u do that?

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by crvtec90 View Post
    Thats good stuff man. How did u do that?
    Paint... took me literally all day! Just to do those three. Lets put it this way... Im going to be seeing Pixels forever! There is probably an easier way to do it, but im not good with paint... so i sat here and pretty much did all the edge work pixel by pixel.

(oh and yes I did it at work, and got paid! Thats our tax dollars at work!.... lol)

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    That looks great. I like it. Might have to try something like that myself.

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    the gauges are backlit. Even the back of the oem gauge faces is green so youd have to change the whole thing in order to get a different color. Or you could light it from the front using some led strips

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    thanks for the added info. Lethal..Im collecting info on making my own already.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram50Man View Post
    Sweet, Thanks! Is our Speedometer Backlit or is it just illuminated from bulbs down towards the bottom? I was thinking about this today when I was taking a smoke break at work in my truck, if our speedometer is backlit, then my idea wont work, cause the bulbs I am sure are not bright enough to shine through the gauge and the sticker overlay.
    Applaud you for taking this on

In my firebird, the factory gauge cluster is just a simple overlay that can easily be peeled off revealing a clear plexiglass background. So if you run into this problem, that might be something to check out. No telling if other manufacturers did this as well.

Or as someone else said, some LEDs in front could also be an option. Would just recommend a small trim piece in front of them so they only shine towards the cluster itself and not towards you.
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    They are not backlit, they are a solid metal face plate(the non-tach versions) so it'b be impossible to be backlit. They are lit mainly by the row of bulbs on the bottom.

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    They are not backlit, they are a solid metal face plate(the non-tach versions) so it'b be impossible to be backlit. They are lit mainly by the row of bulbs on the bottom.
    Thats even better than I can do the overlay to include the speedo, and not have to worries about wether the numbers on the speedo will be visible at night or not. I will just replace the factory bulbs with LED's to help out. Holy crap this may actually work! I have a guy here on Base that makes custom Decals I am going to get with him and see about what the cost would be to have him turn these into decals for me.

Here is another one, trying to fill it in, is a pain in the but, as its paint so I keep having to go around the edges and finish filling it in pixel by pixel.... (not sure if i like this one.... its just a simple background filler)
    Last edited by Ram50Man; 04-27-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    For those of you working on a custom truck; who perhaps might be able to squeeze out a few more $$ for something special, Dakota Digita has universal type drop in all digital clusters which I've done some basic measuring on, and they'll fit in place of the factory gauge cluster.
    Not cheap, but not outragous when compared to other quality gauge sets.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by foolonthehill View Post
    for those of you working on a custom truck; who perhaps might be able to squeeze out a few more $$ for something special, dakota digita has universal type drop in all digital clusters which i've done some basic measuring on, and they'll fit in place of the factory gauge cluster.
    Not cheap, but not outragous when compared to other quality gauge sets.
    ill have to check that out...thanks

looking good man...leds should work out great..keep us posted

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I would like a picture of this installed. Sounds interesting.

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    I still have to see about getting the decal made, ran into some financial limitations at the moment. might be awhile before I can afford to blow money again on fruitless adventures!.... lol

(which sucks, cause I still need to replace the carb w/ weber 32/36, and uppgrade my distributor and coil)
    Last edited by Ram50Man; 05-03-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Do you need the metal gauge face? I have a sport cluster now and don't need my old speedo setup, but it is just the metal face, i took the entire cluster apart, and all I have is the gauge face.