Thread: My first gen build thread (Finally!)

Threaded View

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

My first gen build thread (Finally!)

So I got my 86 home today and it's time to do my build thread on my diesel. Warning! this thread is going to be pic heavy and don't expect it to be overnight I've gota take my time, do it right and wait for paychecks to do what needs to be done.

So I found a 84 5-speed 4wd Power Ram50 royal that was pretty much a hunting truck with a turbo diesel 2.3L with a blown head gasket and the body is toast. Cost: $500

The donor:

Then after I got the diesel home another first gen showed up on craigslist. It was at a local shop just around the corner. They had tried to repair the engine by putting a larger bearing but no good. It's a 1986 2.6L 5-speed 2wd. It has a blown engine and the body is perfect exept a few rust spots (but how many first gens dont have rust?) This was bought from the original owner's grandson. He bought it and left it at their beach house in Emerald Isle so it's got 27k original miles and so does the engine. Btw the engine will be for sale with manifolds, accessories, carb, new carb kit, etc once I'm done. It'll need a new crankshaft. Good for someone who's got some 2.6Ls laying around. Good for parts. It ran great and smooth just had a serious knock. Cost: $875

The recipient:

My plans for this build are to remove the diesel cab and bed and swap the clean 86 cab and bed onto the frame of the diesel truck. I'll remove the diesel drivetrain and rebuild it while it's apart, strip the frame and clean/POR it then go through everything, swap over the power steering and hydraulic clutch to the clean cab, paint the engine bay and re-install everything. The only reason for this is to keep 4wd. Swapping it to 2wd would be easier but I want to have 4wd which would mean modifying the entire frame of the 2wd truck. Plus this prevents me from having to swap the fuel system on the gas truck to diesel. The diesel's frame is solid just needs cleaning and painting.

Before I get elbows deep into this project I've gota get my 94 Mighty Max running again for a go getter to transport parts. Should have that going next weekend. I'll be finishing rebuilding the 2.4L EFI engine this week. This truck will be for sale once my project is done also.

Last edited by recian; 01-26-2013 at 02:37 PM.