Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Estimated cab and bed weight?

So in my diesel swap I've got an 84 diesel 4wd 5sped with a rusted out body. Frame is solid but has surface rust being a hunting truck and an 86 with clean body, 27k miles and a blown 2.6L 2wd 5-speed with light rust on the frame. I'd love to keep the 4wd so I think it would be easier to swap the clean cab/bed from my 86 and clean up the 84 diesel frame and install the 86 (clean body) onto the frame instead of putting the diesel drivetrain in the 86 and having to swap front ends. I plan to strip the cab to nothing but sheet metal + windows, no dash/seats/carpet, no doors, no fenders, hood or front end. Anyone know how much I could expect each section to weigh? I've lifted beds before. I know that can be done with 2 people. I'm unsure about the cab since the inner fenders and rad. support dont separate.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    it will take 3 really large guys or 4 regular guys to lift the cab off in that state, or make up a frame that can be hooked to an engine hoist and lift it through the door opening. Or if you have access to a 2 post lift, put a 4x4 under the roof through the door openings and run the lift up with the arms swung parallel to the body and the 4x4 on the piece the arms swing from. When my buddy and I pulled Geronimo's old cab off we used a set of pallet racks as a frame and used a come along and a lifting strap - I will have to post the pic of it hanging from the rack.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If thats the case i can estimate 750 lbs. Worst case 1000. How well does the door opening hold that? Couldnt it cause the roofline to twist and possibly mess up the window seals?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    with the 4x4 you should be fine - the roof frame is boxed and is plenty strong there
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    My stripped cab weighed maybe 250 lbs and 2 people could lift it easy. use 3 people one on each back corner and one in front lifting on the bottom of the rad support. I had the cab on and off a few dozen times while I was working on my truck to check clearances with the engine and tranny.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    How bout the bed? Any estimate there? And I've gota take a 2wd cab and put it on my 4wd frame. There aren't any structural differences between cabs are there?
    My thoughts were make a 3-point harness lift for the cab, through the door openings and from the radiator support and a 4-point around the 4 in-bed tie downs for the bed and link that to a hand-winch strapped around a tree branch and lift it high enough to roll out the frame, back under the car trailer and then I can put both cabs on the trailer and swap from one to the other then use the same method putting it back on.
    If I can make that work I intend to strip the frame, rebuild the drivetrain and pressure wash and POR the whole frame then clean the engine bay of the cab while it's off. If I had the cash I'd get the cab painted while it's off. If I delay the project through spring I may use my tax return and go ahead with the painting of both parts before install.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    The bed weighs about the same as the cab with the tail gate off. A friend and I moved the box around the shop and on an off the frame buy lifting it at the wheel wells.The only difference I found with my 81 frame when I mounted the 83 cab was the very front cab mounts were in a different location. I just cut the old ones off and welded a small piece of C-channel were it needed to go then drilled the hole for the mount.But as yours are an 84 and 86 they should be the same.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you will have to mod the tunnel for the 4wd sticks ; everything else should be the same on the bed and cab.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Cutting a bigger hole is easy. That makes life easier. Seems they couldnt make up their minds and changed alot between 79 and 83. Dodge and Mitsu both are wierd like that.

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67
    2 people can easily remove the bed with no problems

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by recian View Post
    If thats the case i can estimate 750 lbs. Worst case 1000. How well does the door opening hold that? Couldnt it cause the roofline to twist and possibly mess up the window seals?
    neigher the cab or bed are nowhere near that.. not even combines. lol but looks like da guys answered ur question. I'd suggest buy some drinks for 2 of ur buddies and they can lend u a hand. lol its not only easier that way but also safer, u nvr know how shit can go down. wish u da best of luck w/ it tho

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Over the scales with the 302/AOD in my 81 it weighs 2257lbs with a 1/2 tank of gas and my fat ass out of it.That's with all the Subs.Amp,Air ride system,true duel exhaust (duel mufflers)and all the other mods I have done. These are not heavy trucks they weigh less then most "Sport Imports" ie. RICERS !!!!!!

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I thought I read somewhere that they weigh over 4k lbs. I've got the '93 truck. Must be I read it wrong. Me and a buddy got the bed off and back on yesterday fairly decent, just the 2 of us. Getting the bolts out was the hardest part. But I cleaned them up pretty good while they were out. And then they went back on pretty easy.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Great thread I was wondering what it would take to remove my 87' long bed to swap it for a better one now I know.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I walk the spare bed o have around the garage by myself. 2nd gen weighs more tho but both are a 2 man lift.
    Best way is to make some saw horses for either side, some 2x4s between them. Jack the bed up and slide them under and drive off (if you want to store it where it is)