Array
    Status
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Belts?

I am not an a/c fan I have never been one to use it so I have decided to take mine off of my truck compressor and all. Now my question is my truck has two belts one of which runs the alternator and water pump it looks like and the other one looks like it just runs the a/c. Does that mean I can just cut the belt off then unbolt my compressor and take the condenser from in front of the radiator out, or does the belt run anything else?

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    well i need some additional info.. what motor do u have? and the 2 belts u mentioned are ur "drive belts". easiest way to find out is to follow the belt from ur AC compressor and see if it goes straight to the crankshaft pulley.. if it doesnt spin anything else (which I believe it doesnt) then u can cut it. as for the condenser Im not sure since my truck didnt come w/ an AC system from factory, but it'll be useless once u tk the compressor off so might as well remove it and let more air flow to ur radiator.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    As long as you have 1 belt that runs the alternator and water pump, You can cut away. Unless you have power steering. Then it will need to be run as well. Rule of thumb, if everything spins it's all good.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    yeah i've heard that some mighty max's have only 1 drive belt spinning everything..some come w/ 2.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Mine only had one belt. V belt from the crank to water Pump and alternator. G63b.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Mine only had one belt. V belt from the crank to water Pump and alternator. G63b.
    does yours have AC?

Array
    Status
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Mine is a 2.4 and cut away I shall now who wants to buy my a/c components for cheap

Array
    Status
    Rockledge, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    How much u want? Also, I only have one belt on my 2.4

Array
    Status
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Shit if you want em ill give em to ya when I finally am able to get my parts. Consider it storage payment. Now I'm not sure if any/all of it works I have never bothered to test any of it

Array
    Status
    Rockledge, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks. That works for me. I'm sure there is a way to see if they work, and if not, at least I'll have the parts to start with.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    All a/c units on these trucks were addon units, either at the dock or at the dealer - so the a/c belt only runs the a/c. The bottom pulley on the crank has a second pulley added to it to spin the a/c compressor - not an issue to the truck not using a/c, but will be needed on the truck the a/c is going on. The idler pulley will also be needed to tension the a/c belt. The evap box can come out of the interior without affecting the heater - it is an addon also. The thermostat control unit should be on the evap box.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks man

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    All a/c units on these trucks were addon units, either at the dock or at the dealer - so the a/c belt only runs the a/c. The bottom pulley on the crank has a second pulley added to it to spin the a/c compressor - not an issue to the truck not using a/c, but will be needed on the truck the a/c is going on. The idler pulley will also be needed to tension the a/c belt. The evap box can come out of the interior without affecting the heater - it is an addon also. The thermostat control unit should be on the evap box.
    my truck didnt come w/ AC, so what all would I need to get it fully functional AC system? its a g63b w/ 2 drive belts.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Along with all the parts I already mentioned, you need to find the a/c compressor mounting bracket for the Sanden compressor - that will be the toughest part to find if you are trying to piece together a system from multiple sources. Was trying to track one down for the 86 project truck until I looked at the truck again and found it had a/c on it. It is a total base truck, no options but the a/c.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    yeah..mine is a total base truck too and nothing AC related on it either unfortunately. are there any other compressors from other Mitsu's or whatever that are interchangeable?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    compressors are easy - the bracket is specific to the truck - the compressor tucks low on the block on the drivers side of the motor on my 86. Not sure if one from an eclispe would work.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    yeah i think that is where my compressor should go too cuz there's plenty of empty space on that side of the block. I guess I asked about other Mitsubishi AC compressor interchangeability cuz i'd rather put a "newer" hence more powerful compressor on there. idk how reliable the original units are. and as for the bracket.. I guess I'll try my luck in the JYs, but I've only seen one Ram in there recently and its a 1st gen power ram or it might be an older 150 cant remember correctly.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Get a sanden 508 compressor - it should be the one used in the kits installed at the dealer.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67
    Id love A/C but Im stuck with windows down

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Get a sanden 508 compressor - it should be the one used in the kits installed at the dealer.
    do power rams have the same compressor? what about ram 150 models? cuz thats the only ram i found in the JY right now. lol

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    What Pennyman said is correct. A/C was installed at the port or by the dealer.

This is general info that I am just throwing out there- A/C has the benefit of dehumidifying the air in humid environments like the southeast. In other words, it keeps your windows from fogging when it is super humid out. (Like when it is raining.)

In NC, I run it year 'round. JMO, and your mileage can vary, of course depending on your own variables.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by originalowner View Post
    What Pennyman said is correct. A/C was installed at the port or by the dealer.
    thing is..I went to the dodge dealer about a yr ago and they told me they stopped making parts for this truck. I was like wtf? its only an '88.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    they only have to support a vehicle for 10 years for accessory parts and longer for safety or emissions - yours is 24! Dodge quit stocking parts for these trucks many years ago after Daimler took them over. The parts are the same from a mitsu mm and may still be available.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    they only have to support a vehicle for 10 years for accessory parts and longer for safety or emissions - yours is 24! Dodge quit stocking parts for these trucks many years ago after Daimler took them over. The parts are the same from a mitsu mm and may still be available.
    This is also correct.

There are parts still available from Mitsu, but those parts are becoming less and less. If you have a part #, try Mitsu.

I need a NOS grey cloth bucket seat cover for an '88 SPX. It's just worn the hell out. Anybody got one? LOL

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    thanks. i did not know there was only a specific time frame for which they carried parts. when I went one of the things I was looking for was the stock carb. and the parts guy said they dnt make anything at all for that truck anymore.. maybe he just didnt feel like lookin it up. lol lazy dealer guys but thanks for the tip, i never thought of tryin the Mitsu dealer lol i'll keep that in mind for da future