Array
    Status
    Carrollton GAA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Mighty Max 2.4 rebuild

Im getting a (free) Mighty Max here soon probably. I was thinking of probably rebuilding just the bottom end of the motor. Not sure if it would be better to just get a new(used) block or have the cylinder walls machined since the #3 cyl. wall is scarred pretty bad and possibly cracked. If I get the block bored then wont I have to get new pistons or no?

What do you think new(used) block or have the old one repaired?

1990 Mighty Max 2.4 4cyl. 5spd

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    #3 cyl is gashed how bad? Will it bore .030 over and wipe out the scar? Either way, pressure-test for that. If you decide to bore-over, you'll need new pistons. Some people (used to) go all the way to 30-over with "30-over" rings, but seriously, buy new pistons -- although I admit it's an arguable subject. Thing is, the days of "acceptable" oil consumption in high-clearance engines are over, unless you have an old Jag (and if you do, sell it to the first sucker who comes along).

If it's cracked, I would never trust it again. Some people will weld and be happy; I'm just not one of those people.

Array
    Status
    Carrollton GAA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by manorchurch View Post
    #3 cyl is gashed how bad? Will it bore .030 over and wipe out the scar? Either way, pressure-test for that. If you decide to bore-over, you'll need new pistons. Some people (used to) go all the way to 30-over with "30-over" rings, but seriously, buy new pistons -- although I admit it's an arguable subject. Thing is, the days of "acceptable" oil consumption in high-clearance engines are over, unless you have an old Jag (and if you do, sell it to the first sucker who comes along).

If it's cracked, I would never trust it again. Some people will weld and be happy; I'm just not one of those people.
    A little weird but the tr4uck skips a bit and it smokes.. But for some reason today me and my dad bring the truck to my house and on the way over I noticed it wasn't skipping and it wasn't smoking at all... Little weird..

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If it runs it might be just valve seals
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Im about to start rebuilding my engine. 2.4 so ive read up on em alot. If you can see the wall i assume u have the head off? If youre redoing the top end (which is what u should do if the head is off) then itll blow the bottom end. Redo it all. If ur unsure of the wall have a machine shop check it to see if it can be bored and magnaflux it to check for cracks then step back and punt. I may have $500 in good quality parts for my rebuild. And thats all gaskets bearings seals and rings, timing belts, tensioner/pulleys, water pump etc. I can expect another 250 in machine work and cleaning. So if you spend 1000 on redoing an engine on a free truck ur doing good.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    Quote Originally Posted by Frixmatthew View Post
    Im getting a (free) Mighty Max here soon probably. I was thinking of probably rebuilding just the bottom end of the motor. Not sure if it would be better to just get a new(used) block or have the cylinder walls machined since the #3 cyl. wall is scarred pretty bad and possibly cracked. If I get the block bored then wont I have to get new pistons or no?

What do you think new(used) block or have the old one repaired?

1990 Mighty Max 2.4 4cyl. 5spd
    Frix, what's your plan for your truck? What do you want it to do for you long-term?