Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

New Guy from Washington State

I'm glad I found what looks like a functional forum for the Mitsubishi mini trucks. I have an '87 4WD SPX with a 2.6 liter engine. I've had this thing for 20 years or so. It was my DD for about 10 years and then I just drove it occasionally as a utility rig until about six years ago when the fuel pump crapped out. It's been sitting ever since. I've just made the decision to try to get it back on the road, so will be looking for advice and possibly parts. It's still a great looking truck and I think some elbow grease will go a long ways in making it look good.

My first question is about the seats. There's a nice looking pair of '88 Starion black leather seats available locally. Does anyone know if these would be a direct bolt in into the SPX? I kinda doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Anyone using an electric fuel pump? Sure looks like it'd be a lot easier than replacing the mechanical. Any recommendations for brand, or will any generic work? Where's the best place to locate it?

What do you guys recommend for pre-start precautions? After I replace the fuel pump, I'm thinking I should drain all the fuel, change the oil, and shoot some lubricant down the plug holes (Marvel Mystery Oil?). Anything else? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Are there other members here from Washington? I'm in Stanwood, north of Everett.

Thanks,
    Lem

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome!

Not positive about being a direct swap, but those seats would be worth the bit of elbow grease needed if they won't!

Pull the mechanical and use a blocking plate. Pick up a Carter P4070, I'd suggest a good pressure regulator, as well. Then go to this thread, and read it. Probably the cleanest install for an electric I've yet seen (and copied, I may add): http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...=8596#post8596

If you didn't fog oil it before you stored it, I would make sure the engine turns over by hand (or a breaker on the main pulley) before you put power to it. Also make sure the cooling system hasn't corroded out and the hoses aren't deteriorated. I actually restarted mine on gas that sat for 5 years, smelled funny out the tail pipe, but it burned! LOL (might not have been the best idea, but hey...)

There's a couple up your way, but one I think sold his truck (kid in Bonney Lake area). Other pops in occasionally. Might be more I've missed.

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thanks Acuta --

Yeah, I'm real tempted to go get those seats. But, buying seats for a truck that I'm not even sure will run doesn't make a lot of sense, especially given the state of my wallet these days.

I saw that fuel pump install right after I posted. If I get this thing to fire up, I may be another copier. Looks good.

I'll check and make sure the crank is free before I turn it over. Recommendations on start-up oil?

Thanks,
    Lem

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    I too am from Stanwood, although I will not be back until June. If you are looking for parts, the Pick-n-pull in Arlington has a 92 Mitsubishi, an 84, 81 and 80 Ram 50. I am not positive if all the parts will be compatable, but it might be worth a look.

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Cool. Thanks for the response. Good to know there's someone else around the Stanwood area. I'll go take a look at the '92, just to see if there are some things I can use to freshen it up a little. Let me know when you're back in town. We should get together. Lem

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Just a bit of engine oil should be fine, is what I've always fog oiled with in the past with no issues. Just get a bit in there and let it sit for a bit so it works itself down around the rings.

If the only thing that crapped out was the fuel pump, she should fire just fine. I assume she's carb'd which means that POS Mikuni is still onboard. That might have some issues with all the bits of rubber and crap in those things, but ya never know til ya try. Think you can still get "rebuild" kits for the Mikuni, will give ya fresh diaphragms and other rubber bits that may have bit the dust over the years...if they have. God help ya, though. I made my Grandfather do mine, he was a GM mechanic trainer for over 40 years and all he did was curse and cuss at that thing. Need a PHD in mid-80's Japanese emissions "tech".

Do make sure you change the oil, if nothing else it'll get fresh oil on the springs, timing chain, etc...

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Yeah, I actually pretty optimistic. That thing was the most reliable vehicle I've owned, and I've owned plenty. Always started regardless of the neglect and abuse. I'm hoping to get it going and then replace and upgrade as needed. I think I have a Weber on a parts truck I picked up when I last contemplated resurrecting this thing years ago. So, a Weber rebuild may be in the works. So, fresh oil, fresh fuel, a functional battery and some oil down the in the cylinders and I'll be ready to rock n' roll. I think I'll just use starting fluid to see if it'll fire before I jump into the fuel pump issue. Ummm, think your grandfather wants to tackle a Weber?

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67
    Welcome to the forum,once you get the truck up and running you will enjoy it

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, I really liked the truck when it ran years ago and I'm getting excited about driving it again. Especially if I can get it going before we get any snow again this winter. I've been feeling pretty foolish on those snow days slipping and sliding around knowing my 4-WD truck was just sitting there rotting. The plan is to just get it running for now then doing the rest when it warms up. I'm working in a carport, so it's much too uncomfortable to worry about the small stuff now.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Sweet another 4X4. We can never have enough of them. You will find this site has a crap load of action going on at all times. It does slow down on the weekends but not much.
    Welcome to the board. Poke around and enjoy all we have to offer.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thanks Camoit --

I've been digging around on the site and it looks like there'll be plenty of useful tips and helpful advice here. One thing that has me curious is my truck model designation. I never gave it much thought, but have come to realize that there seem to be few SPX models mentioned. I don't even know what it signifies. Is this a rare bird? Does it have anything special on it that others don't or that I should know about? Or, was it just some fancy wheels and chromey stuff?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I think we have a Vin decode for the second gens in the tech section. As for SPX that would be pennymans department. He is like a walking Wiki on these trucks. Some day he needs to just sit down and do a data dump into our Wiki. While you are on-line surfing the net we have a radio station you can listen to. Just look at the top of the page for MMD5 Radio. You can request songs and upload to it. It's all member supported. I'm working on getting us a member map. Ya never know some day we might have even start clubs across the country. Only time will tell. This place is slowing becoming a Facebook for mechanics of trucks.
    I told ya we get a lot of activity. Some days you can't keep up with it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The SPX models were the top of the truck line with Bucket seats, console,gauge package with tach, and upgraded interior and exterior trim. Other upgrades vary by year - also came with the largest motor offered that year.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    So, no real performance upgrades, just the 2.6 L being the standard for an SPX? Too bad, I was hoping there was more to it than just a pretty face. When I get her cleaned up, I'll take some pics.