I bought this truck for a daily driver and parts hauler. I have 10 other projects and didn't really plan for another. I picked it up only intending to do the body work and paint it, that was it. The exhaust was cut off at the end of the cab when I bought it. I pieced together an exhaust to get it to pass emissions. After the fifth time trying to pass, I finally passed and got to register it. A few days later the engine started knocking. I began looking for a 2.3 to put in it, couldn't find one. I decided I'd go a little different and look for a wrecked SVO/Turbocoupe... or a newer 4.6. After 3 months of getting the run around from people or just missing a sale, I decided to go back home and pull one of my spare 350s out of storage.
I've always bit a bit of a purist, and a Ford fan, so it took a while for me to convince myself to put a GM engine in it. I went back home and picked up the engine that was easiest to load at the time. Just my luck, it got uncovered at some point and filled with water. I didn't know at the time I picked it up. Once I got it back here and tore into it, it was a mess. From here, the pictures kinda tell the rest.
I'll start at the beginning and work up till now. Enjoy.
Originally when I bought it:
80s mustang 2.3 rebuilt head and new cam
5 speed transmission
Lowered with 3" blocks (rear) cut springs (front)
'75 Chevy 350 -4 bolt
Block- Bored .060
Crank- 10-10 grind
-ARP Main bolts
Heads- Rebuilt stock.
-All new parts (valves, seats, seals, guides, springs)
-Magnafluxed and resurfaced
Intake- Weiand power plus
Camshaft- Comp Cams Extreme Energy XE262H (advertised I-262, E-270)
-Comp roller tip rockers, lifters, push rods
Exhaust/Fuel delivery/Suspension all to be determined...
It's still got a ways to go, but I'm hoping to be driving it next summer.
Had to rebuild the carb and do some spring cleaning
Started to do a little body work while it was still running.
uncovered the old mirror holes and welded them