Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

91 Ram 50 Need some help

So today I comp tested my truck on cylinder 3 (The 0psi one) with my truck running, if I slowly give the truck throttle it will peak at around 30 psi, if I go from idle and snap the throttle wide open, it will hit 150 psi and then drop down when the engine planes out, so if I take truck and I drive down the road, and I hold it Wide open in like 3rd gear, bogging the engine, theoretically it would start to hit 150 psi at about 2500-3000 rpm and then if i were to let the trottle off so then the truck is just cruising i would run a much lower compression, correct? Is this still pointing at my valves being my issue or could it be a head gasket issue?
    1987 2WD Mitsubishi Mighty (R.I.P)
    1984 4WD Toyota Pickup (Sold 10/12)(Rolled and Totaled 3/24/13)
    1987 4WD Power Ram 50 Custom (Scrapped)
    1991 2WD Ram 50 (Scrapped)
    1992 Ford F250 7.3 (sold)
    1999 GMC Yukon (DD)
    1988 Ram 50(project)

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by abeemanator View Post
    So today I comp tested my truck on cylinder 3 (The 0psi one) with my truck running, if I slowly give the truck throttle it will peak at around 30 psi, if I go from idle and snap the throttle wide open, it will hit 150 psi and then drop down when the engine planes out, so if I take truck and I drive down the road, and I hold it Wide open in like 3rd gear, bogging the engine, theoretically it would start to hit 150 psi at about 2500-3000 rpm and then if i were to let the trottle off so then the truck is just cruising i would run a much lower compression, correct? Is this still pointing at my valves being my issue or could it be a head gasket issue?
    Interesting. Any reason to suspect a broken (not just worn, but broken) ring?

Not to be a party pooper, but that head takes 20 minutes to remove. Take it off and look. Contrary to popular belief, you can put the same head gasket back for a couple days. Head bolts are already cooked and stretched, so over-torque by 8 lbs, and big deal until you get your replacement stuff.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Well the biggest thing that tells me that it could be a burnt valve is when I took the cat off and it was melted all the way through, so that tells me that at one time the engine ran very lean, the computer was rebuilt not very long ago, It also uses water and oil, so I was thinking maybe it could just be a screwed up head gasket, or quite possibly a burnt valve, and all my valve seals are toast, but it doesnt explain where my coolant is going
    1999 GMC Yukon (DD)
    1988 Ram 50(project)

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Also, Check out my signature, I have owned three of these truck so far, all of them I have had to take the head off for some reason or another, my 87 2wd had a blown gasket, they 87 4x4 had broke a timing chain and the pistons whacked the valves, and now I am thinking of doing it to my 2wd, but the only thing that concerns me is that it is EFI and I have not taken the head off of an EFI vehicle. I have reused head bolts before, but I will never reuse a head gasket.
    1999 GMC Yukon (DD)
    1988 Ram 50(project)

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Im thinkin head gasket but you wont know until you take it off. Dont worry the efi head on the 2.4 isnt any different than a g63b 2.0 head.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I second the motion, blown head gasket.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Burnt Valve

So tonight i was coming home after my friends and I sat in my pickup waiting for a guy to come out and show us his 1994 4x4 V6 Mighty Max, we sat for a good 30-45 minutes, with the truck running and the heater going. The guy showed us his truck and after that I left, I had a pretty nasty cloud of blue smoke behind me and when I got closer to home my truck started to miss on another cylinder, I was going 35 and downshifted to 3rd, then 2nd and finally came home in 1st just wide open barely moving, I parked and foored it to see if I could clear it out any, nope, it sat at about 3 1/2k RPM and then I started to notice I could see the ground like I had neon underglow, so I shut it down and checked and sure enough from the cat back it was all glowing orange, so I let it cool and started the truck again, it didn't want to accelerate and it still was missing at WOT and only hitting 3 1/2k RPM, so I let off the gas a little and it was like a magic little switch that fixed everything, the engine hit 6 1/2k RPM and I let off, I revved it to 5 1/2k RPM and then I got this hellatious knock out of no where, so I drove it in the garage and I could feel the knock through the shifter but the engine was barelly rocking, unlike when I threw a rod in my 87 where when it did run on 3 cylinders it shook like a no other.

So I pulled the head and found that cyl 3 defiantly had a burn exhaust valve, I turned the engine by hand and still heard the clunking noise, but did not see any play at all in the pistons, but when I jumped the starter solenoid it just cranked over, no clunking or banging at all, but I let off and it started clunking. I have a feeling that the whole reason the exhaust was glowing orange is the fact that cyl 3 was just pushing unburnt fuel/air into the exhaust, and when I drove off all hell broke loose when cyl 3 started to hit, I think my clunking is somewhere near the flywheel, like I destroyed the pressure plate or if at all possible, the ring gear came unattached from the flywheel.

100_3708.jpg100_3709.jpg100_3710.jpg
    1999 GMC Yukon (DD)
    1988 Ram 50(project)

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You're right about the exhaust glowing. Happens on rotaries when they blow. My question about the noise is I KNOW I read somewhere about that noise near the flywheel. Camoit would know better than me since he posts in every link lol

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    It only clunks when the engine was at idle and missing on a cylinder causing a rough idle, when I let off the clutch and pulled it into the garage it faded as i let off the clutch but the tranny shook like crazy, With the head off I can crank it with the starter and it sounds just fine (My other truck has a rod knock and without the head on when you crank it with the starter you can hear it clunking away) I looked up a couple of vids on youtube and they sound the same, but people say it may be a broken flywheel , from hitting 6 1/2k RPM and the centrifugal forces pulling at the flywheel, and also somehow making it loose, but when I tun the engine over with a ratchet it sounds fine until I stop, then it clunks, and I can move the ratchet back an forth and I can feel something pushing the engine the opposite direction when it clunks. I just pulled a tranny out of our shop truck at work, and the damn thing is a 1989 V6 2wd xlt Ranger Automatic, talk about a nightmare, cant reach just one damn tranny bolt and the cross pipe was in the way of the tranny ears, god I love 4 cylinders and large old american V8 Chevys and Fords, that ranger is too small for that engine!!
    1999 GMC Yukon (DD)
    1988 Ram 50(project)

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Since you have a manual then look at the clutch and crank bolts. A broken TO Bering can make noise also. Or a bad engine mount. Maybe the exhaust was hitting somthing from the shaking. If it was the ring gear then nothing would turn over. It's only held on there by a friction fit. The valve was burnt by a vacuum leek, a lean condition, or the cam timing was off by a tooth. But you might want to pull the pan and look at the rods just in case. Check the crank end play. Somthing is making the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by recian View Post
    You're right about the exhaust glowing. Happens on rotaries when they blow. My question about the noise is I KNOW I read somewhere about that noise near the flywheel. Camoit would know better than me since he posts in every link lol

recian. In time you will learn the way of the Jedi. (Pssssst, it's always the same problems.) Everyone learns from there problems. Once Abeemanator figures out what happened to his truck it will become his mission to keep this from happening to others. Thats why he is a donator.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The truck I'm getting has a few engine issues of it's own so I'm sure I'll learn

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by recian View Post
    The truck I'm getting has a few engine issues of it's own so I'm sure I'll learn
    One thing I can guarantee is the problems you have will always be the same repetitive cycle of death and resurrection. These trucks are like trying to get sex after your wedding. You get to enjoy it for a short amount of time, then you need to spend money and work to get it again.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.