Thread: Noob needs some info

Array
    Status
    Charleston, SC

Noob needs some info

I am looking at a 92 mighty max, 5SPD, 2WD with 195k miles on it. Test drove it today. Everything seemed to be in good working order, started up and ran fine, AC was cold even at idle, no strange noises from anywhere in the engine compartment, brakes work pretty well, nothing major on the body just a few small ticks and virtually no rust and the engine seemed nice and peppy. It was burning a little oil and it was visible in the exhaust.

I was hoping that some of you vets could help me out with what I should be aware of, if there are any pitfalls to look for, what I should expect to pay for it (they are asking $1750) and any other useful information you might be able to give a noob like me. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds like a decent truck - price is a little high unless they just did maintainance on it like timing belts and a water pump. If you can, get them to do the timing belts and the water pump - its due the second time around for the belts every 100K. Are you stationed at MTS or NPTU? I work at your sister site if you are.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Charleston, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Sounds like a decent truck - price is a little high unless they just did maintainance on it like timing belts and a water pump. If you can, get them to do the timing belts and the water pump - its due the second time around for the belts every 100K. Are you stationed at MTS or NPTU? I work at your sister site if you are.
    The dealer got the truck from auction from carmax. He said that he had not done any maintenance on the vehicle so I will definitely be asking quite a bit lower on the price. And I am stationed at NPTU right now.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    See how low he will go - the timing belts aren't as bad as on a front driver car, but still not cheap if you're paying someone to do it. Good luck on getting the truck - you'll be glad you did.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Hay there Navy Nuke.
    We hope you enjoy the site, and hope you do get a Max. If not you are still welcome to stay. We will be opening up a Military Base / section for all of the active and retired vets that are members of our site.
    Enjoy and have fun.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Laporte, IN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    I would be a little concerned about the burning oil as well...is it heavy or minor...have them do a compression test that will give you a better clue on the motor condition. it could be valve seals or now rings.....seals can be done rather easily vs rings....good luck and welcome.

Array
    Status
    Charleston, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by wrngwae View Post
    I would be a little concerned about the burning oil as well...is it heavy or minor...have them do a compression test that will give you a better clue on the motor condition. it could be valve seals or now rings.....seals can be done rather easily vs rings....good luck and welcome.
    The smoke was very minor, none on start up and only slightly visible after revving pretty high. I'll definitely be using that when I go to bargain the price down.

What would any of you expect to pay for a 92 Max in good/fair condition?

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    That condition seems very good. I would gladly pay that asking price if I can afford it. Also if and when you do the compression test, it wouldn't hurt to do a cylinder leakdown test as well.

Array
    Status
    Charleston, SC
    Well I did it. I got my Mighty Max and after thoroughly gunking and rinsing the engine and giving it a little bath, some rainX window cleaner and some armorall it looks like a pretty darn good truck.

Under the hood

And look at the surprise the previous owner left me under the passenger seat

There was also the original owner's manual in the sleeve that came with the vehicle at purchase. Really the only problem with the truck is that the driver side seat is trashed. All of the springs have broken off and most of the seat is sagging down through the frame. Any ideas for replacement seats?

The first thing I have planned is to run a can of sea foam through it, change the oil and the oil and fuel filters.IMG-20110427-00066.jpgIMG-20110427-00065.jpgIMG-20110427-00068.jpgIMG-20110427-00069.jpg

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Helmic has oem manuals instead of the haynes and chiltons. Very nice looking. We had a seat thread in the old board and maybe you can make a new one here. In my truck, I got me a set of Honda civic del sol seats out a 1996 or 1997. Very confortable and hugs just right. Kept me snug in my seat when they were in my civic hatchback and kept them for the truck. Was either these or my 1999 Acura integra leather seats with height and bolster adjustment.