Status
    springtown, tx
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

1989 Dodge D-50

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I purchased a used 1989 Dodge D50 2 days ago. I got it home and it wouldn't start back up. The battery was dead. When I disconnect the battery after boosting truck off, it immediately dies. I took the alternator up to the parts store and got it tested. It passed the test twice. So, does anyone now where I should start? I got a couple of wires that are cut by the battery and not sure if they are suppose to be connected to it. There is a Big BLUE connect that has a 3 wires going into. 1 is a thick white wire on one side and on the other side of connector is a small white wire and a small blue wire with red strip. Then on the other side of the connector the wires are cut and I don't know where it goes. A Blue wire sticks out and a red pinkish wire sticks out.

What I am trying to say is, I wonder where the wires are that is suppose to charge the battery? From my experience, when you unplug a battery from a running vehicle, it usually keeps running, but this truck just dies.

Help please

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Ya there is some problem there. you need to use a test light and see if there is power to the big wire to the back of the alternator. If there is no power then you need to find out why. It will run directly to the battery through a fuseable link.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    springtown, tx
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ok, I played around with it and just hooked those 2 wires straight to the battery. It appears to be charging now. I put in new plugs as the old ones had no tip on about 3 of them. The plugs were inside of some type of adapter?? I don't know why, but I put the news one back in the adapter. Truck still seems to be missing and puffing white smoke. I can have truck running and unplug batter or make truck die and then you hear the sound of some liquid running but there is nothing on the ground. I hope I didn't buy a headache.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Hows the oil look? You might be hearing the oil draining back into the pan from the head. It some times can sound like something pouring on the ground. But look at the dip stick for water. Also how's the water level? Make sure it's full to the top and leave the cap off. Start the truck and the water should stay right there until it starts to get warm then it should start to over flow, slowly. But if it erupts like a hard night of drinking then there can be a problem. Let's hope not. How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    springtown, tx
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Not at all $350! LOL a steal huh? Think some guy lost it when he did a Title Loan.

To answer the question on the oil. It looks BLACK AS TAR! Someone didn't take care of this Truck at all!