Array
    Status
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Scratched cylinder wall

What options would I have to repair a scratched cylinder wall? It is a fairly deep scratch, easily catch a fingernail on it. Owner says a piece of the ceramic around the electrode of the #3 plug broke off and caused it. He changed out the plug and has been driving it for the last year like that. Only problem is burning alot of oil, especially at start up and notices blue smoke between gears but not so much at idle. It is a G63B (2.0) out of a 83 Power Ram50. I dont believe honing will get it all. Can it be bored out and oversized pistons installed(availability of parts?) Or can it be resleeved? Or is there another option?

Array
    Status
    Canton, Tx
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    they should be able to bore it out and clean that scratch out but if its to deep they might sleeve it...wouldnt recommend that, be better off just finding another block

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    You gotta take it to a machine shop and see what they say. I dont believe they would charge you just to look at the bore.
    oversize pistons are available somewhere.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You can find .030 to .040 oversize pistons for it if you look on ebay - the 4g63 non turbo pistons are the same. unless its really deep, those oversized pistons should do the trick.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Take it over to the machine shop. The first thing they will do is clean it, check it for cracks, then measure the bore to see how big it is right now. The taper of the cylinder might be to great, the scratch to deep or the deck may have been cut down to far to reuse the block. It it is good on those 3 things then they look to see if pistons are available to fill the holes they are going to cut. Many times it can be less expensive to find a good block then re-sleeving an old one. It should not cost to much to find out if it is worth reusing.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Other sizes ate availible if you think the 0.030 is a little too big for the scratch. I know it should be fixable at a machine shop. Of course they'll give you the serviceable or not final answer. Gl to you.

Array
    Status
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for all of the reply's everyone. This engine is currently in a truck being driven daily that I am thinking about buying. Sounds like it might make a good project motor. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    So you'll buy it? I think ***** still has that 2.0 shortblock. Since that truck is a 2.0 already it should be a bolt on.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If it helps you decide any, my 2.6 had SEVERE scoring in the #3 due to my F'ing up dropping my pistons a long time ago. Got an oil ring trapped under the lower compression ring. I really thing that is about as bad as you could get. Engine shop was able to bore it out and drop in 3 ring flat-topped pistons.

Cost me $500 at the time, but I still think he took pity on me for the unbelievably stupid mistake. (block was also line-bored, boiled, and pressure tested. Crank and silent shafts were balanced.)

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    That was a really good deal. Mistakes can be made from time to time, no matter how bog. Most things are repairale.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The problem with the block he has sitting is its a g52b, not a g63b like the 83 - whole different animal. But a 2.6 head will fit it (g52b) with little effort.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980