Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Rebuilding a Limited Slip

  1. #1

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-29-2011
    Posts
    363
    Location

    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

    1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    4G64

    Rebuilding a Limited Slip

    So I swapped the rear axle from my 1987 4x4 Ram 50 with a limited slip and put it in my 1991 Ram 50 2wd, anybody looking to do a modification like this, it is very simple to do, but it can be time consuming when removing/reinstalling the emergency brake cables. I just unbolted the leaf springs from the front and rear hangers and just bolted it on my 1991 2wd, it took around 4 hours (Damn rusted drums took about an hour to get off. The one and only difference is the limited slip has a breather tube that goes to the support tubing that runs width wise under the truck. Anyway, it is a whole lot of fun having a limited slip, but it is also alot better at gripping dry pavement when you may find yourself needing to accelerate while turning.

    TO THE QUESTION, lol. My limited slip is old and is in need of a rebuild, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a rebuild kit for it as I have been told that I can rebuild it, but I can't find anything on Ebay under Ram 50 limited slip, or Ram 50 posi, I also tried Mighty Max limited slip, and Mighty Max Posi, but I still did not find any results.

  2. #2



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-16-2011
    Posts
    3,614
    Location

    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

    1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    Chevy V6
    Call this place. I have been there and they have a big shop and should be able to get dam near any part you may need. Or point you in the right direction.

    http://www.differentials.com/
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Check out the Fear Monger by
    clicking HERE.

    The MightyRam50 site is sponsored in part by On Site Concrete Inc.

  3. #3

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-24-2011
    Posts
    305
    Location

    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

    1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G64B
    I have a feeling the lsd is fine it just needs to be rearranged, my conquest and ralliart had the lsd setup so it wasnt aggressive from the factory. It seems all the cars coming to USA were setup this way not sure about the trucks
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-eng...y-factory.html
    or you can call these guys up and see if they have a kit for you.http://www.weirperformance.com/maxgriplsdkits.html

  4. #4

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-29-2011
    Posts
    363
    Location

    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

    1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    4G64
    Woha, I might just give that a try, I never had the diff out of the axle, I just swapped axle and all between both trucks, yeah it is pretty weak, my grandpa says that while it is jacked up with one tire off of the ground I should be able to squeal the other one, anyway thats how it was in his old 1964 w200 Power Wagon with a stock posi. Since my truck is out of commission for a while I might just take a look while I am waiting for my gaskets and valves.

  5. #5

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    10-08-2012
    Posts
    369
    Location

    Cali
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by abeemanator View Post
    So I swapped the rear axle from my 1987 4x4 Ram 50 with a limited slip and put it in my 1991 Ram 50 2wd, anybody looking to do a modification like this, it is very simple to do, but it can be time consuming when removing/reinstalling the emergency brake cables. I just unbolted the leaf springs from the front and rear hangers and just bolted it on my 1991 2wd, it took around 4 hours (Damn rusted drums took about an hour to get off. The one and only difference is the limited slip has a breather tube that goes to the support tubing that runs width wise under the truck. Anyway, it is a whole lot of fun having a limited slip, but it is also alot better at gripping dry pavement when you may find yourself needing to accelerate while turning.

    TO THE QUESTION, lol. My limited slip is old and is in need of a rebuild, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a rebuild kit for it as I have been told that I can rebuild it, but I can't find anything on Ebay under Ram 50 limited slip, or Ram 50 posi, I also tried Mighty Max limited slip, and Mighty Max Posi, but I still did not find any results.
    i just got ideas.

  6. #6

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-29-2011
    Posts
    363
    Location

    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

    1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    4G64
    They are super bad ass, a lot more traction and control on dry pavement, on wet pavement you will slide like no other, makes driving a whole lot more fun. I would think on snow and ice it would give you more traction when taking off, but my d50 is torn down right now, so I don't know

  7. #7

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    10-08-2012
    Posts
    369
    Location

    Cali
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by abeemanator View Post
    They are super bad ass, a lot more traction and control on dry pavement, on wet pavement you will slide like no other, makes driving a whole lot more fun. I would think on snow and ice it would give you more traction when taking off, but my d50 is torn down right now, so I don't know
    lol i bet..and i agree, its just way better overall! what LSD did u use?

  8. #8

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-29-2011
    Posts
    363
    Location

    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

    1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    4G64
    Stock from a 1987 4x4 Custom Power Ram 50, it had alot of upgrade options on it and the LSD was one of them

  9. #9

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    10-08-2012
    Posts
    369
    Location

    Cali
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    G63B
    so just the rear diff. of a 2nd gen. power ram? wish they came w/ rotors instead of drum breaks tho. lol

  10. #10

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-29-2011
    Posts
    363
    Location

    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

    1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    4G64
    did the entire leaf spring, axle and all, because of the fact our trucks have the leaf springs running under the axle, if it was running over the axle like most trucks or would have just taken the U bolts out and swapped it.

  11. #11



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    4,115
    Location

    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

    1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    get a rear axle from a 1st gen 4 door montero or early montero sports - both were available with disk brakes on the top line models
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

  12. #12

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    10-08-2012
    Posts
    369
    Location

    Cali
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    get a rear axle from a 1st gen 4 door montero or early montero sports - both were available with disk brakes on the top line models
    oh yeah... i think camoit was telling me sumthin about that once i went by to see his project. and its only 1-2" wider than stock 2nd gen diff.

  13. #13

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    11-22-2012
    Posts
    102
    Location

    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    Chevy V8

  14. #14



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    4,115
    Location

    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

    1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Same one I and one other forum member bought on ebay a short time back.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

  15. #15

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    10-08-2012
    Posts
    369
    Location

    Cali
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cylinders View Post
    although they offer free shipping on orders ovr $100, price is a bit steep..

    but i guess i can look in the JY for a power ram lsd.. or a 1st gen montero diff. so i can have rear disks too. ya nvr know lol

  16. #16

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-01-2011
    Posts
    161
    Location

    Garden Valley, CA
    Vehicle

    1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    6G72
    I read somewhere that second gen monteros that are the sr model have a air locker as well as disk brakes
    [SIZE="6"][/SIZE][COLOR="red"][/COLOR] smile, you look suspicious

  17. #17



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    4,115
    Location

    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

    1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    I have a rear out of one of those sitting in a friends storage building - took it to him when I bought it and haven't looked at it since
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

  18. #18

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-16-2013
    Posts
    7
    Location

    Canada
    Vehicle

    1995 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

    4G63-T
    we'll also change from a 3.08 gear to a 3.73 ratio, which is better suited for acceleration and an overdrive. With the 4L60E's 0.70 overdrive gear ratio, a 275/50/17 tire (27.83 height) and a 3.73 ring

    Read m

  19. #19

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-24-2011
    Posts
    305
    Location

    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

    1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G64B
    are you talking about a different vehicle naci777

  20. #20

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    11-22-2012
    Posts
    102
    Location

    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    Chevy V8
    hey, if you hurry you might get one of these.
    cheaper than a rebuild kit. probably alot better too.
    http://www.driveoffroad.com/closeout...-differential/

  21. #21

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-24-2011
    Posts
    305
    Location

    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

    1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G64B
    Good deal

  22. #22

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    10-08-2012
    Posts
    369
    Location

    Cali
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cylinders View Post
    hey, if you hurry you might get one of these.
    cheaper than a rebuild kit. probably alot better too.
    http://www.driveoffroad.com/closeout...-differential/
    "404 error" i probably missed it. lol
    if you can't dodge it, Ram it!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •