Thread: 85 Ram 50 Starter Problems

Array
    Status
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50

85 Ram 50 Starter Problems

Hi. I'm new to this site & hoping someone can help. I've had my truck about 5 years, and had very few issue that werent too bad, but this issue is beyond me & my mechanic people. My 85 Ram 50 has a starter issue. When the truck starts, the starter does not always shut off. Even going down the road, the starter will just turn on again sometimes. We have replaced the starter already. We also disconnected the ignition but, it still did it, so we know it's not that. We are thinking it has to do with the wires going to/from the starter? Or if it has one, the starter relay? Anyone have any ideas? Please & thank you!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If it has a relay it will be above the fuse panel. What I would do is park the truck on a hill. disconnect the small starter wire to the solenoid. Then connect it to a a long wire you can run out the hood and into the cab. Connect one end to a buzzer from radio shack, $3.00 one of the Pizarro buzzers. Then the other wire from the buzzer to ground. Then drive it around and see if it goes off. If not and the starter kicks in then you know the problem is something else. But you might find it will buzz. So that leads us in the correct direction to find the problem. Next you would need to look at the key switch, or an alarm system problem if you have one. It's just a process of elimination. There is something that is giving the wire power when it should not be getting it. From there we can go forward and find the problem. I would guess it's a melted connection up in the dash where the ign switch connects to the main harness.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Alright, I will take a look. Hopefully it helps. I'll have an update later this weekend I'm sure. Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    hey, no relay. no neutral switch on standard.
    try another ignition switch or the cylinders are known to stick in the start position.

Array
    Status
    lexington, ky.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Maybe the ign. switch is bad and not returning back to the run position. If you have a volt meter check to see if you have voltage from the starter solenoid wire to gr. with ign. in run position. Should only have voltage in the start position.