Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

4G64 head possibilities

What, if any, 16-valve head will fit the 2.4L (1995) block (without having to cut into the firewall or reposition mounts)?

Yes, I mean fit -- like I carry the head into the garage and the old head unbolts, levitates, lands on shelf, while 16V head floats over, mounts all gaskets, and settles into place. My job: check the torque on the ARP set.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    http://projectzerog.com/sirius_engines.shtml

This is where I've been getting alot of 4g info. The site is pretty much for RWD 4g's so they'll tell you what will work on a 64 but I have yet to verify it but I'm curious about the starion 4g intake and head since the car is already RWD and that site mentions a hybrid 4g64 block with 4g63 head so there's some hope.

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Yes, I've seen the material on projectzerog. Use of the 4g63 DOHC head requires cutting into the firewall to allow room for (if I recall correctly) piping to the water-jacket at the rear of the head. Or, you can cut, weld, and move the mounts forward to gain clearance, and use electric thermal fans instead of belt-driven (which is a good idea anyway, but that's neither here nor there).

Now, I'm not necessarily adverse to cutting out the firewall, but it lacks elegance. Anyway, there's a local guy who trying to sell his 1995 Mighty Max -- at a wildly optimistic price -- so I'm debating whether it's worth it to reset my plans to the 2.4L FI, and move away from carbs forever.

I have an Eagle Summit wagon, which is a 5-passenger variation on the Mitsubishi Expo. Love that car -- it's almost as good as a pickup. The engine is the 1.8L (1834cc) MPI SOHC 16V, and those extra 8 valves make a world of difference, fer shur. The DOHC version has 20 additional HP, putting it right where I want a pickup engine to be, pre-mods.

Trouble is, it's transverse-mount, FWD only, but Wikipedia says Mitsubishi sold that engine in an Outlander-like vehicle in the Asian market, called an L200?? Not sure about that, which would presumably be RWD.

So, maybe there's a DOHC head that fits the 4G64 and doesn't have firewall problems? Shucks, I'm willing to bet that the little 1.8L could do the job in a turboed variation. Hell, it gets 34 mpg around town, and the only time I need a turbo is when I'm pissed off.

Just wondering. Thanks for your input.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    But my point was the starion. Its a rwd car that came with a 4g63 so i assume its routed around the firewall.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Its also a usdm car. Ive seen one in the junkyard that was a turbo. At the time i wasnt into mitsus so i dont recall if it was 2.0 or 2.6

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Or the original mount design for the Starion cleared the firewall. Still won't go on the pickup mounts without cutting.

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    What's going on here? People were GIVING away Mitsubishis a couple years ago. That local guy with the Mighty Max sold it on the first call after the CraigsList ad posted. No questions asked -- or so he says.

Sheesh.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    From the Project Zero G site a 4G37 thermostat housing.

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm. From the picture, not so bad. I wonder if you could just beat it in a half-inch or so -- caaaaaarefully -- with a 2-pound hammer.

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I'm sure that's it.

I was, like, in the mall last week. And this guy was talking up this chick about his Mighty Max project, and she litt-uh-ra-lee SCREAMED, "OMG, do you like, know Camoit, d00d?"

An eye-opener. Of course, she said "CUH-MOYT". Still, I was impressed.

Two weeks ago, while I was making plans to scuttle the entire collection and switch over to a Tacoma 2rz, this guy drives up my driveway, survives the dog attacks, walks up to the garage where I was fixing my cheapass Harbor Freight hoist, and says "Ya wanna sell that?" -- and points to the 88 Ram 50.

I said "No."

The solution to all my problems, right there. And I caved.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by manorchurch View Post
    I'm sure that's it.

I was, like, in the mall last week. And this guy was talking up this chick about his Mighty Max project, and she litt-uh-ra-lee SCREAMED, "OMG, do you like, know Camoit, d00d?"

Cracking me up...

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm. From the picture, not so bad. I wonder if you could just beat it in a half-inch or so -- caaaaaarefully -- with a 2-pound hammer.
    Sorry. Should be using the quote function for referencing.

Projectzerog has redone their stuff quite a bit. I looked it over this morning, learned a few things. One of my nephews has a couple totaled Eclipses, 90's era, in a shed on his backlot. Might be a head there that's interesting, although they got pretty rough treatment before giving up the ghost. It's amazing that kid can still walk.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    to clear up some confusion in this thread, the starion/conquest(starquest) are all 2.6 astron motors. all 2.0 g63b, 4g63, and 4g64 are sirius motors and the parts are not interchangeable. any 16 valve head swap will require more than the head to make it run, including the computer, injectors, coil pack, and intake with throttle body, and a custom exhaust manifold. You will also need to change the fuel pump to match the needs of the new motor.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ah yeah the USDM only got the 2.6L

For the swap tho wouldnt you need to change the harness too? or just modify the existing harness. Info on that is limited and scattered and everyone does it different.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yes the harness would be needed to run the motor - it would need to be spliced into the existing truck harness.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Are there any other possibilities for a head on the 4g64? Before I start looking for a stock head and cam

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Nope, only thing is 4g63 DOHC head but it doesn't just bolt on, lots more work needed.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6

So was this chick 3 foot tall,l no teeth and a flat head to set your beer on. If so she is the perfect woman.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    So was this chick 3 foot tall,l no teeth and a flat head to set your beer on. If so she is the perfect woman.
    She needs to have an ashtray in each hand to be a "perfect" woman. :-)

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I have never found this motor or head on a USDM mitsubishi, but its the perfect one for our trucks!

http://www.jdmenginezone.com/engine-...g64-90_96.html

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeps View Post
    I have never found this motor or head on a USDM mitsubishi, but its the perfect one for our trucks!

Can you add yours into the link section as well. Engine Parts: Engines and transmissions.

We also have this place that sells the engine and trans as 1 unit. They have many of our engines in stock. There is a link in the link section. I have been there and it's a nice place. Lots of engines including diesels.

http://www.allengine.com/mitsubishi
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Beg to differ -- "perfect woman" has no FRONT teeth. Of course, I'm more "old-school", where the "perfect" woman is a deaf-and-dumb nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

I busted my tractor last week, jumping a stump and crushing the hydraulic filter, housing and all. Nothing to plow with, and on cue, it starts snowing.

You California guys don't know what real life is like.

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeps View Post

I emailed them and said if they had one, at $495, I might buy it outright, sight unseen. However, if asking is $495, you gotta figure these have seen some hard use -- and it's kinda funky looking, like it comes out of a Mitsu box-truck before they went all diesel.

But, shucks, I can get a local reman for $1500, including the head. Local machine shop is a little hard-up for business -- doing my part for the local economy.

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The only thing i want from that would be the RWD mounted 4G64 16V SOHC head that would be perfect for bolting up the 4G63 Turbo manifolds and such.... Should also bolt up to our trannys and into our trucks just as the factory 4G64 motors do.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Wouldnt that head bolt onto the stock 4g64 bottom end with no issues? I know that most lancers and galants come with that engine in the 2000s. That is just a RWD version of that engine without the spread port manifolds. And of corse some re-wiring for the newer sensors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast