Thread: 4G64 head possibilities

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    So could the galant/lancer head be used with maybe the 2.6 exhaust manifold and modified intake manifold. I know the t-body comes out the back side of the motor so it'd have to be modified. But Both models came with different manifolds.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    That engine was sold in the us in the montero sport for a couple of years, hard to find a 2.4 montero sport

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Thats what I originally thought but was never able to find out for sure, since this seems to be a pre OBDi or ii system, and the monetero sport's did not get them till 97 or 98, and rare at that. Ive tried to find one in a yard but never had any luck.

I also was thinking of fitting a galant or 3g eclipse 64 into the max if I ever was in that posistion to swap motors, but I sold mine before mine ever went bad. I love the 64 more than the 63 for a truck purpose. And to find something cheap, easy to find, and bolt on nearly all 63 parts was what I was after.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The stroker 64 was made for the truck. It needs the longer stroke torque motor since its heavier than the car. However now that i think about it the eclipse 64 motor is backwards from the truck 64. That would put the truck exhaust on the driver side like every other mini truck. The jdm 64 u showed was on the passenger side. Now what about the newer mitsu black top dohc engine? Pretty much the only usdm engine they still make. I wonder if it would be possible since it has a lower profile intake and exhaust on the opposite side.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    You can try the head from a 91- 96 galant,expo,eclipse spyder 2.4 97-99, colt vista, they flipped the motor in 97-98 on the galant

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The difference has to do with the world motor starting in 97 - if you look at hyundais and kias, they are the same motors. Even the 4 cyls in chrysler cars till last year are the same world motor varient. That should open up some more possibilities.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Ive looked into the expo's and older galants, harder to find, and the new ones seem to be cheaper in junk yards, but yes the intake and exhaust would be opposite sides. There were some hyundia's that had a 2.4 DOHC mitsu motor in the mid 90's. If you can find one of those... mint!

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I can find early 90s galants all day. Im sure any hyundai pre 2000 is in the junkyard. Thats where it belongs anyway. Finding them shouldnt be hard but the swapped sides is my curiosity. How youd make that work

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    If you can find the early 90's galant use that cylinder head,The flipped engines are easy to tell apart they have the engine mounted on the passenger side
    versus the drivers side

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    here is a better example drivers side
    passenger side

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If i was to yank that driver side head what else would be needed? The intake would need mods and the injectors im sure would be different.

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    You need to find one with a coil style ignition, not a dist that sticking out the end, it wont fit!

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    i noticed that lol but that narrows it down alot since the coil type was used when they changed the 4g64 from driver to passenger side mount. Maybe you can take the cam angle sensor and coils from the later style head and put em on the DIST style head?

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    From what I have heard, yes you can. You would need a differnt ECU controller to understnad the signal, I think. The topic was a complete ecu turbo swap and using the turboecu from a dsm you can change the signal from the dist. to a sensor style so the dsm ecu knows what to do.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If thats the case it would be easier to just drop a built 318 into it with a 727 or torqueflite. Ive got a spare 5.7 hemi at the shop that needs a new piston, rod and pushrods. :p

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by recian View Post
    If thats the case it would be easier to just drop a built 318 into it with a 727 or torqueflite. Ive got a spare 5.7 hemi at the shop that needs a new piston, rod and pushrods. :p
    Now thats going to get you where you want to go.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy another truck before I commit to it but The hemi has 100 more HP but it takes different mounts, has a harder to find tranny and isnt as bulletproof as the 318 and the 318 parts are cheap even tho there's more parts to convert the hemi since ppl put it in muscle cars. Lots of pros and cons for each. The hemi in a MM hasnt been done. Maybe try to find an Arrow. Nobody ever mentions it on the site since the MM took it's place. I found one in the junkyard last weekend with a 2.6L auto

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the 5.7 hemi should use a small block mopar tranny, although there are belhousings out there for t-5, tko, and t56 trannies if you want to spend the cash for them
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If thats the case ill pair it to a earlier model 727 and call it a day. The mm already has the shift mechanism and kickdown linkages set up. if you ran a carbed setup with a 750 then itll be even easier. Just have to put a regulator from the fuel pump. I know mopar makes a kit to convert the engine to carbed. Idk how they do ignition system

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12