Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

94 MM. Small ways to make more power

I've just started getting into the world of the mighty max. I've been doing research on ways to make more power out of the truck. Good thing is theyre super light and close knitted to the 4g63 which can be a crazy engine if done right. My truck is pretty base. No p/s or a/c so the engine pretty much just runs the alternator lol I've read about mods that can be done to the 4g63 and 64. I've read of a 11k rpm build on a 4g63 head with 64 block and 63 internals and custom rods or even a high compression torque motor from the 64. I'm curious what most guys do here or what can be done with my single cam 4g64 to give it some more kick. I know changing it to a 5-speed will help. Should be an easy swap but Idk if I want to do it yet if I plan to mess with a 4g63 swap since the trans are different. I can also look into changing up the exhaust and running an electric fan to take more drag off the engine.

I kinda wana do a junkyard dog kind of build. I like the style of finding all kinds of dodge/mitsu parts and making them work on the truck. Like having a tach would be super sweet lol

Array
    Status
    shafter ca
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type
    you know what i also want a tach and the manual says to install it to a harness on the passenger side of the engine but i still havent messed arround with it to find out wich one it is and hey lets get some pictures to see the progress of the truck im gonna start posting pictures cuz im gonna strip it down and do a garage paint booth special good luck with the build!!!

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ill try to get some this weekend. As it sits the truck is completely stock exept the rear has been lowered so it sits level and the previous owner loved MMs so he built a custom flush hard cover for the bed

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Balance shaft delete is one of the first mods, supposedly a 15 HP gain. then there is the hacked MAF, then the SAFC and bigger injectors, then you will need a e-prom ECU,and a custom tune.A header if you can find one, Solid lifters from a 1.8L motor, stronger springs for the valves for more RPM, port the intake and exhaust, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel...the list goes on.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Balance shaft may be the first. Its so easy to get to not having ps or ac to do the timing belt and make sure its up to par. Ive read about teeth stripping. What brand belt would you recommend?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Gates and oem are the only thing I use, just my preference though

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I work at a dodge/mitsu dealer so i may see how much some oem stuff is if theyre even still available

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    pump the VIN into CAPS, bet the parts come out of the Atlanta Warehouse. The belt should still be easily available, The solid lifters from the 1.8 you'll likely have to junkyard, last person that tried ordering the P/N's said mitsu didn't have them. I have all the P/N's from when I got mine, like 6 years ago.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Like my other post said I'd rather build it with parts from the junkyard than anything. So that's a good thing. I have a local yard that charges $50 for whatever you can carry out :p I work the next couple saturdays but when I get time off I'm probably gona go to a yard and try to find body panels and 5-speed tranny + pedals, driveshaft and clutch mechanisms. The 1.8, youre talking the one that comes in the mirage and older mitsu single cams?

Array
    Status
    shafter ca
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type
    its true about the timming belt i just ran into that problem i thing it has to do with the shape of the teeth on the sprocket if it doesnt match the ones on the belt mos likely its gonna happen

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I went back and read the old posts and yeah that was the problem was shape. As long as i get a mitsu one i'll be fine.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by recian View Post
    Like my other post said I'd rather build it with parts from the junkyard than anything. So that's a good thing. I have a local yard that charges $50 for whatever you can carry out :p I work the next couple saturdays but when I get time off I'm probably gona go to a yard and try to find body panels and 5-speed tranny + pedals, driveshaft and clutch mechanisms. The 1.8, youre talking the one that comes in the mirage and older mitsu single cams?
    Those are the ones, the engines are the same family and a lot of stuff from the little single cam motor fits the 4G64 single cam. My parts guy went bak to 1987 microfiche to find the P/N's.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    pump the VIN into CAPS, bet the parts come out of the Atlanta Warehouse.
    <-- super confuzed... CAPS?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    <-- super confuzed... CAPS?
    See the tech section. We are putting together the hole program and testing it now.

Mitsubishi Computerized Automatic Parts Search System (CAPS)
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ah it'd be a nice program if I could use it. I've got a 64bit OS so it's not going to run.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Or I could go to the junkyard and try to pull some 4g63 parts and a head. I'm more about high compression n/a builds than turbo tho. I'm having a hard time finding real info on the swap. I can find pieces here and there but I have yet to find a full write up

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    I work at a dodge/mitsu dealer so i may see how much some oem stuff is if theyre even still available
    The dealer you work for uses CAPS to look up parts for the Mitsubishi's, so I'll assume you don't work in the parts dept.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Nope I dont lol

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I've found what I need to do to get power out of the truck. lol Seems pretty straightforward with some minor work. Finding a donor wont be easy.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=73704

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    If you wanted a a Turbo why didn't you say so!

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I thought about that. How well does the 4g64 handle boost tho? I know if I rebuilt it with OEM or better parts the bottom end will handle it fine but I'd think the head would be the major weak point in the build since it's SOHC and has different ports so finding a manifold will be a pain. What kind of numbers could be expected from a turbo 64?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you want to go diesel just drop in a Cummins 3.9l 4 cylinder. You can get 400 HP no problem out of them.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah but where would you even find one of those? There's not much info but it seems theyre more commercial than anything. You'd have to buy the whole vehicle and take everything out. Seems like alot of work to swap.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Well I've run 159 MPH on 28lbs of Boost. engine hold up just fine. I finally blew a head gasket when I spiked 32lbs of boost on a run. yes it's more than a few dollars and a lot of time. Check way back at the beginning for info on the build. It's a custom job all the way around.

LSR Mike
    #847 F/BMMP
    ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Balance shaft delete is one of the first mods, supposedly a 15 HP gain. then there is the hacked MAF, then the SAFC and bigger injectors, then you will need a e-prom ECU,and a custom tune.A header if you can find one, Solid lifters from a 1.8L motor, stronger springs for the valves for more RPM, port the intake and exhaust, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel...the list goes on.
    What lifters? You mean a solid tappet to replace the hydraulic doodad that strikes the valve stem on the S/DOHC head? How do you adjust it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast