Thread: Ignition switch

Array
    Status
    Greenville Ohio
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50

Ignition switch

Just bought a really clean 92 D50 been driving it for few days and went to shut it off yesterday and all the dash lights stay on and truck stayed running . All the accessories quit working but it would not shut off . I pulled the switch from the column and took it apart and tried to shut it off with a screw driver still nothing . I unplug the connector for the ign. switch and the lights are still on so that should by pass the switch should it . Has anyone else ever had this problem ? Picture of the lil beast http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...urrent=D50.jpg

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you turn on the head lights, they will stay on regardless of the key. The key has no correlation to the lights. Now if you start the truck and turn on the headlights then turn off the key does it keep running until the lights are turned off? Does it have one of those automatic turn on the head light things "For Safety" devices. There an aftermarket box.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Greenville Ohio
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    It was not the headlights . It was all the dash lights that come on with the key .alt ,brake,check engine . I found some of the problem there was a push button starter switch wires into a relay in the passenger side kick panel . I unhooked it and everything worked like it should . After starting it a few times the lights failed to come on once and the truck would not start . I am going to replace that relay and see if it fixes it all together . I assume relay was going bad is why they wired the push button starter switch the way they did .

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    They most likely had the click of death. Thats where the starter only clicks with the key but fails to spin, even after getting a new starter. So they put in a relay to up the voltage to the starter solenoid. instead of changing the battery cables. Or finding the main problem. When you turn the key ON it should have the alt light at the very least the other ones should turn off after start or release of the parking brake.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com